1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Using GAME for game downloads

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by bestseany, 28 May 2010.

1. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

I wanted to get a copy of Just Cause 2 for the bank holiday weekend, but didn't want to pay the £30 that Steam are asking so I bought it through GAME digital downloads for £20 instead.

It's through Gamesplanet, but it's actually a Steam download through them. They haven't given me a product key yet as they say new accounts take 8 hours to verify.

Has anyone had problems with this setup or purchased a game through GAME downloads? I've read a few bad reviews, but didn't check until after I got this message :eyebrow:

2. bestseany

Looks like I had nothing to worry about. The steam code came through after 2 hours. Result!

3. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

so you download the game through steam, but paid £10 less than steam? Does the game get added to your steam account?

4. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Yes, it will do, as Just Cause 2 is a Steamworks game so they have no choice but to provide a Steam key as it needs Steam integration to run.

For other games I image the process will be different and it will use a proprietary download client like EADM (urgh).

5. bestseany

Yes, it's like buying a Valve game from Amazon, you just put the CD key in and it downloads through Steam. It's a pretty good deal really.

If the game isn't through Steam, then you just get a normal downloadable file and a CD key to use, there's no proprietary client.