1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning UV Engraving Idea

Discussion in 'Modding' started by vmast3r, 12 Aug 2010.

1. vmast3r

vmast3r What's a Dremel?

Alright, so I was wondering if UV Markers existed, and it seems like they do. I believe they're known as UV Security Pens or something similar.

The idea is to take a UV pen and basically highlight an engraving on clear acrylic. The acrylic would serve as the case's side window, and I'd have UV cold cathodes inside the case. The engraving would then light up. I haven't tried this out yet, though.

I was wondering if anyone's done this, or something similar. Also, has anyone ever used UV Security Pens on mods before? And if so, would you recommend any brand over another?

2. japala

japala What's a Dremel?

This has been done. Too bad that I wasn't able to find any photos of it though. :(

You need quite wide lines to get the effect visible. Lighting up UV painted stuff from behind is also not good. With thinner lines the regular method (engraving and lighting it from the side) is the preferred way...

3. Mach

Mach What's a Dremel?

4. vmast3r

vmast3r What's a Dremel?

I'll keep that in mind.

Ahh, nice. I think I might try it out on some wood too.

5. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

If you Just want the engraving to light up you could put the lights along the edge of the glass.

I did something like that a few years ago: Link. (Scroll down a bit to see results)

If you just want an image to be UV reactive you could do as you say and get a security marker.(Edding 8280 should work well.) I'm not sure about the color options, though. The one linked is light blue under UV, but almost invisible in normal light. It should work OK to light it up from behind, as the ink is transparent.

The cool thing about this is that you could have two sets of light in the case. One UV, and one normal.

Edit: Be aware that those security markers are very hard to wash off (That's the whole point, really). So if you screw up, you have to start all over.

6. vmast3r

vmast3r What's a Dremel?

Ahhh, I've seen that door on another site, but seeing how you made it is a lot better, props. And thanks for the tips/warnings about the marker.

7. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I'm liking the sound of this . I may have to have a little experiment, got a pen and a bit of perspex laying about that I can play with.