1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve appeals Australian L4D2 rating

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Sep 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

I still don't get the point of not having an 18+ rating. I mean, it seems stuck in the idea that all gamers are kids/ potential mass murderers. Am I the only one that gets bored of all this?

3. Dosvedagna

Dosvedagna Justice!

no your definately not. Honestly you think the people banning all this stuff would grow up a bit, im all for protecting young kids from senseless violence etc but jesus, when an adult wants to shoot some zombies on his pc for fun with mates, just let them get on with it.

4. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

No, you're not.

Give games ratings, enforce them, problem solved. Those that get all "Nooooooooooooooooooooes make killers etc" should be slapped, a lot.

Penn and Teller did a recent episodes on Videogames that I think most of those ranting about how evil games are should watch.

5. Dosvedagna

Dosvedagna Justice!

bulls eye :thumb:

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Not giving the same rating as the first one is a bit weird, I agree. Then again, people who REALLY want it, will get it no matter what the rating is.

Germany's rating system is maybe the best in theory. Put into practice though it has a lot of flaws, yet I still have to say that if every country was as strict as Germany on this topic we would a lot less confusion and arguing.

7. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

L4D = rated

L4D + frying pan bouncing off zombie face = not rated

Hmmm.

Mary Whitehouse alive and living in Aus in would seem.

8. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Trivialising the issue by implying L4D1 and L4D2 have the same level of violence doesn't help. L4D2 has more gore, and they use it as a selling point.

The lowest rating for this game in the world is 17, for Australian ratings board to think it inappropriate for a 15 year old is not unreasonable. What is unreasonable is the fact that they have no rating higher than 15, but that isn't the fault of the classification board itself as they have no control over the legislation that governs them. I'm personally amazed at the number of titles they let slip through with the MA 15+ rating, but I feel like L4D2 is pushing the limits. I doubt the appeal will have any effect.

9. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Mentai - I'm guessing you've played L4D2 then?

I'm sorry, didn't mean to upset you.

10. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

The amount of gore is actually relatively the same, just that the infected don't always die when an arm gets dismembered, unlike L4D1

11. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

What? Why would you guess that? And do you always think someone is upset if they don't agree with you? I accept your apology though, no offence was taken.

"The axe can’t go unexplained either. It’s utterly brutal, and shows off the Infected’s newly regioned vulnerability. Swing it low and you can slice off a zombie’s legs, letting them collapse horribly to the ground, bleeding out of their fresh stumps. Or maybe swipe off either arm. Or most horrendously of all, remove a face.

This same gore is achievable with all the weapons, with new ragdoll deaths for the throngs, to make their entrail-spilling, armpit-dribbling, face-exploding ways all the more entertaining. There were many gasps and cries of “OH GOOD GRIEF!” as we played, the strings of guts slopping wildly into the air, or as mentioned above, the faceless leaking mess suddenly bursting like a blood-filled balloon as the Infected fell to the floor. It’s awesome."

Most previews I've read have mentioned an increase in gore, and from gameplay footage of the axe I'd agree. Apparently so does the Australian censorship board.

12. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Oooh... VIDS PLZ! :D

That sounds awesome

13. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

Wow...sounds like they did some nice tune-up work on the source engine.

14. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

I feel for the mentally sound Aussies that may get to miss out on the game as it was intended to be played. Who knows, they may even end up with green blood and androids.

Is that trivialising again? :S

Sorry, I just wanted to air my opinion, hope that doesn't offend too much.

15. mute1

mute1 What's a Dremel?

My thoughts also.

16. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I don't think I've ever been offended or angered while arguing a point on the internet, you really don't need to apologise. Your original post had a common misconception that I rebutted, it was nothing personal. I'm sorry if you took it badly.

I suspect Valve will release a scaled back version for Aussies. In theory, all they have to do is removed half the blood spray and change to the old death animations. Gameplay shouldn't need to be changed at all. Which is good, because then Aussies get their game and anyone who cares about the way it was meant to be played can still import. The common public probably won't even know there's a difference. But that's also bad because just circumventing a problem isn't going to make it go away. It'll be there until at least the next election, sigh.

17. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

unfortunately, the general elections for who gets to sit in parliament won't help with this, as the classifications are done by the Attorneys General, of which there is one in particular (Michael Atkinson, in South Australia) who is blocking the introduction of R18+ for games. Every time this comes up, it introduces a whole new slew of emails and letters to him. In a group of these emails that were posted during the time Fallout 3 was refused classification, it seems that Michael Atkinson doesn't believe an R18+ rating could be regulated well enough in stores, despite fines for the offending store already being in place for the sale of MA15+ games to those under 15.

18. aggies11

aggies11 What's a Dremel?

Haha, looks like the Australian Office of Film and Literature are members of the L4D2 boycott group? :p

19. SiG

SiG What's a Dremel?

I've always found it pathetic that the OFLC enforces a 'common' classification system, yet fails to allow Video Games the R18+ rating.

Unfortunately, even the import option is somewhat problematic - L4D2 will most likely use Steam to verify the Product Key/Installer which will effectively result in Steam 'locking' you out from your game as it is "not available in your region."

Tags: Add Tags