1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Venice core overclocking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zephyr, 6 Jul 2005.

1. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Well, I finally have a working motherboard and my 3200+ Venice. And, because I'm so extatic with the performance so far, I figured I'd start a thread :p. On stock cooling, stock volts, I have it running 2.5Ghz, totally stable. I have my RAM running at PC2100 speeds with a divider, just so I know I'm not being limited by it (it's PC3200 :blah: ). I'll keep updating with benchmarks, tests, cpu-z screenshots and such, but so far this thing is absolutely amazing. However, the best thing about it is it just _feels_ fast. Everything opens instantly, it's amazing. Still, I've yet to do any benchmarks until I have basic things installed and such, and I can't do any gaming tests as my 6800GT isn't here yet. Running a PCI GeForce 2 :waah:

Anyone else have experiences with Venice chips?

EDIT: Stable so far at 2.6Ghz, upped the cpu voltage by .5V, upped LDT controller and northbridge voltage both by .2V. Still testing my limits, but I've yet to bring my RAM back up to speed. Still have to see if this insane amount of voltage will get my CH-5 to run 2-2-2-6 :D

Last edited: 6 Jul 2005
  2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Nice going :D See how far you can push her :) Sounds like a sweet chip tho.
    Watch using the 5v jumper for your ram though, its been known to fry sticks/boards :)

3. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Yeah, decided not to use the extra RAM voltage jumper. Just too much useless risk - if 3.2V isn't going to do it, I doubt more will :blah:.

At a 280HTT right now, 9x CPU multi for a CPU speed of 2.52Ghz. Probably gonna bring the HTT down and run the CPU 1:1 with it, though, then bring the RAM back up to sync.

4. Chobbler

Chobbler Running with a Spoon

All of that compeltely confused me. Glad i know someone else is using the DFi and a venice 3200's . I shall be watching for tips/settings for it. I've never understood the process of overclocking an A64.....P4 fine...i can do that...but it just baffles me doing it for a A64...

5. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

This is useful to see as you have the cpu/mobo combo i plan to purchase in the future. Do you have any plans to use aomething other than stock cooling? as im planning on running an xp120 with mine.

6. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

I did plan on getting a 7700cu, but right now I'm at 2.6Ghz, completely stock cooling, even have the crappy thermal pad that comes standard on the hsf :hehe:. I may still upgrade for the bling factor and the noise level, although I must say the DFI fan controlling is superb. I've yet to game on it, still waiting for my 6800GT though, so I'll see how the stock cooling does during long gaming sessions :D

7. Chobbler

Chobbler Running with a Spoon

I've heard some of the venice cores refuse to OC very well, hopefully the one i ordered is a decent one :confused: . I'm gonna WC straight away....lets see what i can get from this little beasty....as soon as i figure out how the hell i overclock an athlon 64 hehehe

8. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

Thats good to hear as I'm hoping to hit 2.6Ghz with mine when i get it, maybe more with a good cooling solution.What temps are you getting at 2.6? Whats the max people have got their venice cores to on air cooling?

9. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Ive seen early Venices hit 3.2 Ghz, but that was on a prometia. I think that people have been hitting 3.0-3.2 on air, but I cant be certain.

10. fartonmyear

fartonmyear What's a Dremel?

i've gotten 2.75 on air. not "stable" but the computer ran fine.

11. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

This CPU seems to be limited at 2.6Ghz. If I do get a better cooler (or even some as5), I'll try pumping more voltage through it and hit 3Ghz (hopefully :eek:). Still, the performance is amazing :D

12. Springs

Springs Boing boing

i have a 3200 venice aswell... havent got round to oc'ing it yet... turned it on and it was at 2ghz so ive left it there for the mo...