1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Vibrating power supply

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Ravenheart, 3 Oct 2009.

1. Ravenheart

Ravenheart What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

Just wondering if any one has any idea why my power supply starts to vibrate intermittently when the p.c's only been on for a few hours?, It's very annoying and I can't figure out a way to stop the vibration, it vibrates regardless of what I'm doing on the p.c and it vibrates even when I'm not doing anything on the p.c, can it be stopped or will I have to buy a new power supply? It's annoying me that much I think I might have no choice.

Any help would be appreciated because it's getting to the point whilst it's not super loud it's spoiling my enjoyment playing games as I can here the vibrating/humming as well as the sound of any games I play and I don't want to have to keep using headphones when I've got some decent speakers :).

Edit: Just sat here listening to it now and it's definitely a vibrating/humming sound but it sounds like both at the same time and it's definitely coming from the power supply, the power supply is a thermaltake 700 watt modular psu the power supply in question is this one Thermaltake toughpower 700 watt

Last edited: 3 Oct 2009
  2. xprodancer

xprodancer life is like a box of chocolates

how long you had it????

3. Ravenheart

About a year or so, it shouldn't be vibrating/humming after that short time should it? I've checked the fan and it's hardly got any dust on it at all so that's not an issue.

I just can't think why it does it because it's really annoying lol.

4. xprodancer

well going on what you have said, its a posibility that the fan (blades) are out of alignment so if off even by 0.5 grams it will vibrate! the only thing to do if your a modder is take it apart and change the fan! then give it a try!

if not then it could be a build up of dust inside (heatsinks) so its not cooling down enough so the fan is spinning up rapidly to cool it down!
    once again you will have to take a look inside!

5. Ravenheart

Hmm,

I'm not a modder but I could take a look I guess, isn't it dangerous opening up a psu though in case of electric shock from the capacitors that store electric even if psu isn't plugged in?

6. xprodancer

it will only be dangerouse if you take the hole thing apart! so just the case will do! the PCB will be screwed to the base!!! so no worries! your only having a look so you should be fine! i have done all sorts of things to PSU's taken them to bits and modded them with out even using a case for the PCB! no electric shocks for me!!!!

7. Ravenheart

Hey thanks for the reply, the problem with it is it's not super loud or a major problem and my pc is still stable as ever, it's just annoying having to listen to it, I can block it out 90% of the time but when I don't manage to block it out just hearing the humming and feeling the vibration through the table my pc's on is really annoying lol.

I think I'm just going to buy another psu, or borrow a friends and try that just to double check it is the psu, I'm certain it is but I reckon it's worth double checking before shelling out up to £100 on a new one.

8. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

If you take the case off and can touch the capacitors on the PCB - it's dangerous. If you don;t knwo what you're doing - I wouldn't really advise opening one up. If you must - make sure to leave it for a good while to let it all discharge.

On a less H&S note - try getting an old mousemat or some similar rubber and making a gromit to sit between the PSU and the case - might insulate the sound enough to make it bearable.

Just in case, a quick how to:

Sit PSU on mat, draw round and cut out. Mark out holes and fan grills etc (tracing paper/acetate is good for this) then mark onto the rubber and cut out. Screw PSU back into case using normal screws with the rubber between the PSU and case...

RwD

9. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

Yes, you can get seriously 'Blowed-up' from those cap's in there. I had one zap me and between the pain, and getting scared, I jumped about 5ft backwards and landed really hard on the floor. I was lucky, I wasn't paying attention and my finger slipped across the board.
    after you unplug everything from the back of your pc, keep hitting the power button over and over, that should discharge most of everything. Some PSU's have their fans attached by clips, others are soldiered on. So either insulate the psu as RwD said, or start your mod job; take pics, and put up a project post. It may not be as cool as everyone else's, but why not?