1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Video converting for iPod not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tomm, 11 Jan 2008.

1. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Any suggestions for the best app to encode a DVD to iPod format?

I've been trying to convert a DVD to stick on my iPod (5g, 30Gb if it makes a difference), and so far I've used Handbrake for both Mac and Windows (The Windows machine doing it substantially faster, but then it is more powerful). But although both produced results that work fine on the iTunes and VLC, iTunes refuses to copy either of them to my iPod, so I'm guessing they're somehow in the wrong format?

Next option is to re-encode the video using either Super or Videora for PC, or iSquint for Mac. I quite like Super so I'd like to give that a try - can anyone point me to a website with the optimum settings for conversion?

Can anyone guarantee a method that will work?

2. eddieitman

eddieitman New Member

I have always liked an application called SUPER in windows does everything a little difficult to find the download link on there site, just google super
    Also pocket divx encoder is good
    both free

3. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

Just a little note. Super is still in development so some formats would cause it to freeze upon converting. For an example i cant convert *.flv files to any other format.

4. eddieitman

eddieitman New Member

I have used super and been able to convert FLV files to avi, wmv maybe something with the codecs on your machine.
    I also have FLV player installed maybe thats what you need

5. bennifer

bennifer New Member

When ive got a movie saved in an avi format I just load it in quicktime and do an export in ipod format. it handles it all for me. just add to itunes movie list and it syncs.

6. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Maybe I didn't explain properly. The video converts fine - when when I go to copy it to the iPod it just won't copy.

You need QT Pro for that Bennifer? I'd rather a PC app but I'll try that

7. spectre456

spectre456 New Member

i use the videora video converter for my touch. it's got settings for the classic/5G ipod video. videora is cabable of handling DVD file formats. all you need is to rip the dvd with some dvd ripping software then simply convert it to the H.234 (or whatever format you use). itunes is not very good for movie conversions. it takes forever and sometimes when i do it there is no audio playback at all.

hope that helps

8. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

SUPER +1

9. heir flick

heir flick Active Member

10. eeevan

eeevan Dremel Master

11. manjowithane

manjowithane New Member

I have used Handbrake on Mac to convert videos into iPod format and it copies fine to my iPod. The only time iTunes has refused to copy it onto my iPod for me, was when I tried to make it into a 'tv show' and for certain converted files it would corrupt it.

Tags: