Windows Video/data recovery

Discussion in 'Software' started by DeanSUNIAIU, 1 Nov 2023.

1. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

Other half accidently deleted a video mp4 file from SD card, looking for a free windows based solution to recover the data.

It's a minefield of bloatware and paywalled garbage out there.

Thank you

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Photorec has done the job for me in the past. Despite the name, it picks up literally anything. Be mindful (unless it's changed) the filename and file extension may not be restored and it might look like a load of gibberish files, but as long as the sdcard hasn't been used since accidental deletion of the file, it should pick up the file in need, it'll just need renaming after. Oh, and it will take some time for it to run through, so I guess set it going after making sure the computer you're running it on won't go to sleep.

DeanSUNIAIU likes this.
  3. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

Will get it a go, thank you.

4. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Failing the above, Recuva from Piriform has been useful in the past (plus I had some others saved down somewhere as I had to do a bit of the same once, I'll see what names I can dig out once I have the machine reinstalled and running again).

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

+1 for Photorec. Never failed me. It might only have a basic DOS-style interface but it's pretty quick and it just works™

6. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

I did download that Recuva but wanted something like £80 for a years license.

7. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Really?! Blimey. Was free last time I used it.

Apologies for landing you a red herring in that case.

EDIT: No, there's definitely a free version. Even the Pro version is only £25, difference being it supports virtual drives or some bits. I'm on my phone at the moment and signal is poor for uploading screenshots, but I'll try and grab one later. I just searched for "piriform recuva" and went to the top link, which is now on the renamed ccleaner site. Had free version on first page.

Last edited: 3 Nov 2023
    DeanSUNIAIU and Arboreal like this.