1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Video Editing software recommendations (cheap/free)

Discussion in 'Software' started by sandys, 20 Oct 2017.

1. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I have a little hobby of doing sprints/hillclimbs/trackdays etc and video most of it, overlaying data and images etc from the day, that like some oddball I like to watch over and over again :D

I have mostly been using the Sony software that comes with my camera to back up and encode clips for youtube and its OK but a bit clunky, not the quickest and doesn't have many options to ease transistions etc, in fact I have been using a mixture of this an movie maker but it is time to try something new, where should I start.

Using Win10, the data is 4k60fps ~100mb/s AVCS source from the camera, typical 30mins of clips each race, I now have many threads via threadripper, not actually tested if the Sony software will take advantage as the creators updates seemed to break my ability to create with this software.....Grrr.

What should I be looking at, don't mind trying a couple. Will probably pay up to £100 provided I can demo it and convince myself it is worth it.

2. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I saw Shotcut mentioned a few times when I was looking for the same thing for a friend. No idea if it's any good or not, but it's free so it doesn't cost anything to give it a bash and see if it does what you want.
    https://www.shotcut.org/

Guest-16 likes this.
  3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Cheers I'll give that bash

4. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

You could always go with Premiere CC from Adobe. It's $20 a month. It's not too much. :)

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

If you can get your head around it - DaVinci Resolve

Failing that you're looking at Vegas Pro, Premiere CC or whatever the Avid offering is called. Though iirc Vegas is the only one you can buy outright, the other 2 are only available as a sub.

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I will be giving some of these a try as it seems the Sony software does not understand my Threadripper and is encoding with 2 cores, so its very slow.

7. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Adobe Premiere Elements would probably be fine.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's great! I edited together all the kids DVDs into one continuous file, cut off all the intro/exit and it plays like one, long 2.5 hour episode.

9. CodyWA

CodyWA What's a Dremel?

If you could get your hands on Premiere Pro, that would be great. However, there is a lot of free software which can be used alternatively for Premiere Pro. I found Shotcut and OpenShot are the best among these, with clear, accessible user interfaces and informative video editing tutorials.

10. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Kdenlive is just one free software video editor, never used it since I have no interest in this thing but at least it won't **** over your freedoms like Adobe.

11. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

Have been thinking about trying out a new editing suit recently too. I bought Cyberlink's version a few years ago and I've never been that impressed with it - the last time I used it the update had made it pretty horrible.

Some good suggestions here, I had a go with Shotcut and Resolve last night. Really like Resolve, but is it just me thinking there must be a catch? (Or is it just clever marketing?) What a great bit of software for free!

12. CodyWA

CodyWA What's a Dremel?

uuuhh...fancy :grin: Resolve is a good choice mate, one of my friends (a professional) uses it. If you're lucky enough, you can receive advanced colour grading training from a professional colourist, provided by Resolve.