1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Virgin Media throttling speed way before I have hit my limit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Auxilliary, 5 Aug 2012.

1. Auxilliary

Auxilliary Crashes into space stations

So then, this has been going on for the last couple of months and I have just put up with it. But now it is starting to get on my nerves.

I have Virgin Media's Medium 20Mb package (living at home and mum pays for at the moment due to me not having work) and according to this picture taken from Virgin Media's website:

[​IMG]

According to this I should be able to get:

20Mb download, I used to be able to get this but over the last month or two I have only managed 10Mb.

and I can apparently also download 7000MB before being throttled, but when ever I buy a game on steam and download it, no matter when it is during the day I hit 1100MB then i get throttled to 250Kb/s.

What I want to know is why do I get throttled at 1100MB at any time during the day or night when I should be able to download 7000MB....

Thanks.

Jack :thumb:

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Have you phoned them?

3. Auxilliary

No not yet as I dont have the account details as I dont pay it and my mum is out, I suppose I am going to need to though

4. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I would, they can be quite helpful and might upgrade you for free.

5. Auxilliary

would be good if they did and also, apparently we should have received our speed boost by now aswell but nope it halved instead...

6. Auxilliary

Right so a 50 minute phone call to virgin results in me knowing no more than what I started with and still all the same problems that I was having anyway...

7. malbluff

malbluff What's a Dremel?

In all honesty, forget Virginmedia's call centre, except for something very basic, or if you've got a fault. Anything else, put it in writing, explaining your issue, from your "account". Not that you will get a quick response. You may have to chase it up, several times, but, if you are persistant, you will eventually get a phone call from someone, who can actually answer your issues. A pain in the ****, but it's the only way.

8. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I suggest speaking to Technical support, they have a better understanding than call centre monkeys.

In relevance to your issue. Seems my modem does not like Linksys or Netgear wireless routers. No internet connection what so ever through them.

But oddly enough through homeplugs no problem what so ever.

Last edited: 6 Aug 2012
  9. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

The indian call centres for Virgin are the worst :waah:

Had to call them up the other week for a dead line and it was like pulling teeth.

10. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

Virgin are usually good at sending people out to have a look at their equipment. As per previous posts call them up and get someone out to have a look.

As a VM customer myself, I was paying for 10meg and now I've been doubled to 20meg. However I'm subject to the same throttling as yourself.

As a rule I leave all my downloading to after 9pm. The connection is so fast even large downloads only take an hour max. I think portal 2 took about 35mins or something on steam.

11. GMC

GMC Minimodder

every time it gets throttled call them and be persistent. Eventually they will sort the problem which could be capacity if there is some heavy bittorrent use by other subscribers in your locale.

I put a thread up not long ago about the problems I had with them so if you search for topics I started you should find it.

I have a fairly stable connection now, but must have spent the equivalent of a day or two on the phone to various people in Virgin to try and achieve that.

One point to note that when I was calling a couple of people in Virgin let slip that one of the systems they view traffic data with, carries a 20 minute lag from realtime... obviously while they tie messages to pigeons and send them into the air....

12. suragh

suragh Derp

I usually have this problem also, give them a ring and complain that your speeds are slow and moan at them.

13. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

A handy tip as the Indian call centres are meant to be for overflow. If you call during normal working hours and you get the Indian call centre call Tech Support which is or was UK based. and ask to be transferred to customer support.

They get you to UK customer call centres.

I am going to have to speak tp them myself soon. Seems our modem isn't allowing a connection to our wifi.

Honeplugs are seen as wired connections. At least my computer sees them that way.

14. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Be persistent you may get somewhere.

But from my experience with their ADSL service I would leave. I had similar problems with their FUP, frequent drops in connection and their technical support was incompetant. 3 weeks to get activated/switched on with the blame put on my previous ISP only to have it turn out to be Virgin's fault. All I got for my troubles was a refund on those three weeks and a larger telephone bill than normal for calling them because their technical support number was premium number. Never again. Contract ended. Went to BEthere and haven't looked back for three years so far.