1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Virgin Router (upgrade options)?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by penryn 2 hertz, 7 Aug 2020.

1. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

Hello everyone.

I have a virgin super Hub 3 and experiencing terrible wireless issues with phones and laptops.

The connection is very intermittent drop out and disconnections constantly.

I have called virgin several times about this issue and all they say is I've run tests on your superhub and everything is OK.

I also get the following responses from there technical support saying as long as I get a solid connection through ethernet ports directly then it's OK.

Also apparently wireless connection issues aren't covered by there service .

I would like to put the hub in modem mode and use a 3rd party Wireless Router are there any good choices???.

I have a budget of under £100 and would like a usb 3.0 port for storage on the network as I own a 4tb 3.0 external hard drive for backup files.

You're help would be very much appreciated .

2. modd1uk

modd1uk Well-Known Member

Asus. Not had a single issue with mine and i've had it years.

3. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Active Member

I have an AC68U running Merlin for the last couple of years - great so far :thumb:

4. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Go Ubiquiti and don't look back. Not the cheapest solution but expandable, totally configurable and it'll just work well.

Edit - nvm. Just saw your budget limitations. Worth bearing in mind though if you have a desire to upgrade in the future.

5. silk186

silk186 Derp

Is this a new issue? I've had this issue (not WiFi related) since lockdown with a 200M plan. I use a tp-link wireless router.