1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distributed Virtual Teams - Experience?

Discussion in 'Software' started by notmeagain, 11 Feb 2011.

1. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

Hi Guys,

My employer is striving to set up "Virtual Teams" ie: Geographically distributed mini offices - but use telepresence as a key form of communication between each team.

I'm wondering if anyone here has had experience with this?
    I'm going to the Unified Comms expo in march (London) to check out whats on offer there, but I would really appreciate some information on what's currently available.

Money is of no concern this early, as we have a strong in-house development team who can develop a solution specific to us if none exists.

I've been looking at "ACT" and some Cisco telepresence gear, which seems ok.

Primary Needs:

High-Def Audio (No sloppy GSM quality)
    Support for "On-Demand" and "Always On" video conferencing
    Streamlined interface
    Ease of use for members of the other teams
    Mature/Stable platform

Secondary Needs:

Support for generic hardware (IE: No propriety gumpf when a web cam would do)
    Support for our existing SIP infrastructure (we are currently a high profile SIP provider in the UK)

I will sincerely appreciate any information this glorious think tank can produce.
    I am experiencing a caffeine drought at the moment - brain work less.

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Hosted live communicator?

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

Last edited: 11 Feb 2011
  4. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

You could do worse than look at the stuff Polycom have in there lineup.

Although i didn't do much of the technical side (we had a 3rd party who looked after the setup) it was very good for what we wanted about 4-5 years back. Although not HD, I would expect there newer HD stuff to be just as good.

5. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your input!

We've arranged a few demos with Polycom (who are actually one of our partners - lol) and Microsoft and ACT.

Once we've covered their viability and flexibility I guess I'll be the one making the choice, it's going to be a busy couple of months!