1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux VirtualBox

Discussion in 'Software' started by BjD, 20 Jan 2007.

1. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

VirtualBox

"InnoTek VirtualBox is a general-purpose full virtualizer for x86 hardware. Targeted at server, desktop and embedded use, it is now the only professional-quality virtualization solution that is also Open Source Software."

Though this may be of use to those who have made the jump to Linux and want an alternative to dual booting with Windows. It allows you to set up a virtual machine inside Linux and install Windows to it, allowing you to use both OS's side by side. I've got a simple Windows 2000 install with Office installed, for those times when OO isn't quite enough (and you want to 100% sure your coursework will open properly on the lab machines...)

It only presents basic hardware to the OS running inside the VM, so its completely useless for games before you get too excited ;)

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Nice, I actually do it that way too (Linux base, with a VMWare Server (free, but with registration) runinning, which boots XP, with all my schools applications)

3. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i installed this the other day, it's great. was initially hopeful that i could run windowsMCE/pvr functions, but that's definitely a no-go.

great for school windows-only programs though

Tags: