News Virulent worm targets Microsoft

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by acrimonious, 29 Jan 2004.

1. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

"A new strain has emerged of the malicious e-mail worm, Mydoom, which is continuing to multiply across the net.
    The new variant, dubbed Mydoom.B, is programmed to attack the websites of Microsoft and software firm SCO.

The virus arrives as an e-mail attachment which sends itself out to other addresses if opened, and may allow unauthorised access to computers.

Mydoom is behind one of the largest virus outbreaks in months, making up to 30% of all e-mail traffic, say experts."

Full sotry from the BBC: here

I don't know whats the sadder, the fact this worm exists, the fact that this has become routine or the fact that people still open unexpected attachments :duh:

2. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I am getting about 8-10 emails a day with this virus attachment.
    naturally I dont open them :p
    The usual file name appears to be text.exe test.scr and there is also a zip.
    it's quite annoying as its going to my only email address that was spam free :waah:

3. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Im quite lucky now, two filters and this has been stopped from getting to me.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I've got a hardware firewall. That helps, although some spam gets through. This is handled by Cloudmark Spamnet --highly recommended.

What gets through after that, is subject to immediate geographical targetting through TraceIP followed by a thermo-nuclear tactical strike executed with extreme predjudice (it's that small button under "additional options" in the "kill spam" submenu). :D

BTW Atomic, I think your Av is hysterical! :D :thumb:

5. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

I feel left out, no virus emails for months. :waah:

6. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

This is the ONE TIME that McAffee could have stopped me from getting a recent virus, the ONCE it has worked...

And all it did was tell me the zip file was bad and that I should delete it and not open it...

Bleh.

7. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

What version are you using? v.7 Has found every virus that's appeared recently for me... so long as the DATs were up to date that is.

I've found from experience that 4.03 & 4.5x aren't are effective in finding viruses. During upgrades to v7 I do a scan after the install and it normally picks up a few viruses.

8. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

I have used virus scan for like 5 years now. Version 4 to version 7 (current) iirc

I have also gotten ILOVEYOU, nimda, 3 versions of klez, and a couple others. Up until now, they never released the dat updates until it was too late.

:waah: :waah:

9. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I've had no problems with it...

10. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Wow, thats preatty unlucky Yoda. I've been "pluged in" for like 4+ years now, and have only ever had 1 virus. And even that was due to somebody elses ignorance. And I've never exactly been a 'lite' user either. There was one point where I was getting 100+ e-mails in about 20 or so accounts a day. (thats 100+ in each account, not alltogether) Heck, I even beta tested a lot of suspicious software for friends online. Even some ~questionable~ material (for this forum anyway). And yet, I've only run anti-virus software for the last 4 or so months. Sure, I've had it installed, and scaned once a week, but I disabled it's on-boot function so as to save on the memory it took up, and help boost system performance.

11. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

ive always been a bit paranoid since lovebug got on some of my machines at home. Mine managed to keep it away (gotta love AVG) but two computers were completely hosed and just needed formatting. Now I make sure my parents and brother keep all our machines up to date. It's just not worth leaving it to chance with data that cannot be replaced.

Tags: Add Tags