1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows vista hardware lock?

Discussion in 'Software' started by dimebar, 10 Feb 2007.

1. dimebar

dimebar What's a Dremel?

i have vista 64 installed, but have noticed if i make any adjustments to my hardware settings in bios, FSB, MEM, CPU, Timings. when i boot into vista i have lost some functionality such as control panel, welcome window and system restore.
    if i have all my hardware settings the same as when i installed, all works fine. i assume u can adjust hardware settings with a OEM version of Vista 64
    i have read there is a lock after 3 days does this go away after activation, as i have not done this yet.

2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Ok, that is bizarre and should not be happening.
    I assume you have not activated yet? The trial period lasts for 30 days at full functionality, after that you're only allowed to use the web browser for an hour or so.

Can you give us more info?

3. dimebar

dimebar What's a Dremel?

ok
    it appears that i can change my timings, but cant change the FSB of mem or cpu or change the multiplyer higher, but can change it lower. i am wondering, does vista see a clock frequency change as a hardware change and limits things, is this a driver issue. or can u not overclock in 64bit vista, as in winxp i can run the rig at 1400cpu bus and 1250 mem with ease and full stability. i have tried small changes in fsb but it still loses bits of vista. i might try a reinstall to prove it.

4. dimebar

dimebar What's a Dremel?

ok
    this is getting stranger:- although my hdd is primary boot device, if i boot into vista and leave the vista DVD in the drive, vista is fine and all problems are gone, even though i am overclocked. but if i remove it and reboot, same old problem. do i need a fresh install, or is this a quirk of activation, i have 24 days to go. will this be fixed by activation, as im not willing to do it while im in risk of needing to re install.

5. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

This is definately not a feature of activation and Vista does most certainly not see different clocks as different pieces of hardware.

Are you sure it's not a driver issue? Check to see if all your drivers are installed.

6. dimebar

dimebar What's a Dremel?

done a fresh install, and it came back somewhere between installing nvidia 680i drivers and logitec drivers. but only after a hard shutdown and re-boot.
    so i think its a disk controler driver issue, i cant roll the back either as thats a bug thats happened, i might try removing the drivers and trying again. so it looks to be driver related. its still fixed by leavign vista in the dvd drive......ODD :eyebrow:
    my advice to others so far is do not install the nvidia feb 5th 680i drivers for your striker extreme motherboard, stick with the windows vista ones.

Tags: