1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Voltage question

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by do_it_anyway, 8 Mar 2010.

1. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

Stupidist question of the day.

I have had a few random BSOD's, related to various things (NTOSKRNL.exe, NTKRNLMP.exe mostly showing up in debugger), and haven't found the culprit.

BUT. I realised about an hour ago that after a bios flash on my MSI P55-GD65 (because of a USB issue that was present in bios v1.1), that I hadn't bothered to reconfigure my memory.

Basically I have the G.Skill PC1600 (1866MHz) 2x2GB @1.65, but the mobo had selected them as 1333mhz @1.50V.
    I hadn't bothered with an overclock as I was checking stability after the bios flash 1 month ago, then was happy with performance and it slipped my mind.

Anyway...could the lack of voltage cause the BSOD's? I would've thought that while the RAM was underclocked the voltage would be less critical.
    The BSOD's were also random and not linked to heavy RAM intensive stuff. And the BSOD's have been occuring around 2 weeks, but the bios flash was around 4 weeks ago.
    Thanks for your opinions guys :)

PS. Its an i5 750 @ stock with the Titan Fenrir cooler (49c under load)
    MSI p55-GD65
    GTX260 GPU (Reaches 65 while folding, 79 while gaming)
    All linked up with a Bequiet 650w

Last edited: 8 Mar 2010
  2. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

set the overclock settings to be what they were before, ie before the BIOS flash, then do all your stress testing again. and memtest.

should tell you if that was the culprit.