1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster Warning for those with CCFLs

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ZapWizard, 18 Aug 2004.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Can't decide whether to modify the 71 further, or start again... decisions decisions.. time yet anyway, as I'm waiting for the whole Vista/DX10/quad core thing to mature a little bit. It's not like this is slow or anything, so there's time to ponder yet.

Yep.. I know it's the inverters, but all CCFLs need an inverter to work, and so many things have CCFLs in that they're a tested, reliable, and safe device now.

2. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

i've only had one problem with inverters so far, and it seems to me that the transformer sort of died (due to the black/brown marks on it) and it only resulted in half of the cathode tubes lighting...contacted the place i bought them from and they sent me a new kit which has been working fine every since. i should add that these are also the cheap, no-name ones with the light-blue casing around the inverter

i just say, stick the inverter in a cool, well ventilated part of your case and it should be fine

3. kazama

kazama What's a Dremel?

i never used ccfl, but if i used it i want to modify the inverter box to the larger box that fit 80mm fan. maybe its a silly job, but i think thats the way to handle the inverter probs

4. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

well, the replacement inverter i got went sometime over the weekend...which was strange cos the switch between the inverter and power supply was turned off. finally managed to pry the box open (a bit of the plastic had melted in one spot) and the two disc caps that are normally sky blue are now green and a dark purple...eep

very strange that it happened while it was turned off, at least i now have an excuse to pick up those 60mm led fans :D

edit:
    had a closer look, there's a burn mark in the top of the casing from one of the ceramic disc caps, but the melted plastic is where a transistor sits, and the transistor has a nice big crack going through it

Last edited: 26 Dec 2006