1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Warning on using PayPal to pay for Steam games

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by pandoraocicat, 16 Aug 2010.

1. pandoraocicat

pandoraocicat What's a Dremel?

if steam had a number i would happy call them. If you google this you ould see im not only person to have this issue.(or maybee they are all making it up as well)

If you think im a scammer thats your own personnel choice but my warning is using paypal with steam. Or whatever payment method you use make sure the payment goes through. As my account was disabled without warning.

My issue with pcgamer and post their was pcgammer really push steam and never actually cover any issues with it. Yes the did a great piece on ubisofts DRM but issues with steam none.

Or if any of you out there that seem to know the answer try get someone from steam to respond to this thread and put their side of the story accross. Id for one be glad to hear it.

2. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

As has been said a number of times in this thread, the solution to your problem is to contact Paypal, not Steam. That is where the problem lies no matter what Steam does.

I'll say it again, the solution is for you to contact Paypal, they instigated the issue, from what you have posted only they can resolve it.

Be professional when communicating with them, don't rant or abuse them or question the geneology of the person you communicate with, simply explain that, due to their unexplained action (I assume they haven't explained it to you), you have lost a lot more that the £5 odd that they have reversed.

3. Sexton

Sexton Minimodder

I would say both PayPal and Steam need to be contacted - you need to find out why PayPal reversed the payment, and why Steam blocked your whole account because of it.

Recently though, I have seen several cases like this where Steam have been blocking accounts for silly reasons. A friend of mine had his account blocked because he played on a TF2 server with someone who was using a wallhack.

Not sure why they are ignoring you though - I have emailed them with problems in the past and they are generally pretty good at answering promptly, although their replies are normally auto-generated and have no relevance to what I asked in the first place :p

Drop a line to PayPal as well and explain the whole situation. You may find that they can contact Steam for you. Good luck :)

4. Nomad2k3

Nomad2k3 What's a Dremel?

I have had a payment reversal from PayPal to steam in the past and also came under a similar account hold.
    I simply called PayPal and asked them what was going on, they told me it was a system error and the lady on the phone resent the payment there and then.

TBH I haven't used PayPal for steam purchases since, instead I always use my credit card now.

In the OP's case I would contact PayPal and ask them why the payment was reversed and then politely explain what's happened and that your holding them accountable.

Unless ofc it was user error.

5. kameltoemunch

kameltoemunch What's a Dremel?

This thread is all over the place.

OP: Get on the phone with both Steam and Paypal. Hell, call Valve if you can't find a specific Steam phone number, I bet you can get it out of them. It sounds like you are relying on e-mail to sort this out and it simply isn't working. You need to have actual vocal conversations with real people and explain the absurdity of the situation. I can almost guarantee that you will be able to sort it out this way. Work on your grammar too, and whats up with reposting the same exact sentences in multiple posts?

However, I am fairly disappointed with the stance that Steam is taking here. Its illogical, extremely poor business practice and frankly is most likely illegal. Denying the ability to play already purchased games is ridiculous, and the fact that its a fairly level headed company taking this stance makes it even worse. It sounds like they are opening themselves up to a lawsuit. I love Steam, but this is policy straight out of the dark ages.

Valve, fix this immediately.

6. shadows

shadows What's a Dremel?

It's in the Terms of Service, whilst we all think they should just block that one game it's Steam who are taking a hard stance on it and decide to block the entire account, it's not illegal downright wrong yes, illegal no.

They'll be no lawsuit here, since the OP will have agreed to the tos when signing up for Steam. And technically you don't own the game you have a license to use the game. Same with every game you buy.

@OP, ring paypal don't just speak to the Customer service rep. Take their name and ask to speak to a manager, go as high as you can until the dispute is resolved. It's ******** that they can't do anything about it, when they reversed the payment.

Steam really should change the way this works, and if payal messes up, they should allow you to pay via other methods.

7. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Eh what? Doesn't even say why Paypal disputed the payment in the first place. Wtf :eyebrow:

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Just want to say - thanks to everyone for helping out the OP and giving advise (even if it is a little all over the place :p) :thumb:

9. pandoraocicat

Reply Recieved from steam. Still no reply from paypal.

Message from Steam (24 « Message by Charlie on Mon, 16th Aug 2010 2:59 pm »
    Hello Craig,
    PayPal is showing the case as being closed and the funds returned to you.I will investigate the matter further. )

Already had two replies from paypal that are just automated messages.(Whats the point of having an email to them if they dont read it).

So im in middle of sending same message to every single option on the paypal email website in vain hope to get a reply. As ive spoken to two people from paypal today and they are like well you got the cash back(arghhhhhhhhhhhh) or why dont you just resend the money(arghhh).

My other conern is if I had used paypal to purchess a gift for someone else whos account would get disabled. Or would they disable both.

10. Nomad2k3

Nomad2k3 What's a Dremel?

I don't think they would disable both, just the paying account, but don't hold me to that.

Call again and ask to speak to someone in charge, and then try to explain again whats happened to the steam account because of PayPals lack of response,
    Also try to get a contact ID from them so you can speak to the same person again if and when needed.

Keep pushing at it mate.

11. pandoraocicat

After pushing it and pushing it. I have account back £15 worse off and no thanks to paypal.
    See message from steam below. So had to repurchase pack at full price. And cant use paypal anymore for steam account. (this is a total loss to me).

Paypal of zero help what so ever totally not intrested. Why they chose this time to suspend and reverse this one payment ive no idea.(and couldnt get answer from them).

But id seriously warn anyone on using paypal to pay for steam or the other direct download services to pay for games.Only concern now is Only way to repurchase game was as gift and send it to my own email address. So have sent all the info to steam so they can sort that out.(game was already added to my cart when i logged in.)

:clap:

paypals help in this matter :wallbash::wallbash:

27 « Message by Charlie on Tue, 17th Aug 2010 10:25 am »
    Hello Craig,

I have contacted PayPal directly on your behalf regarding your case. I needed to confirm with them that they have verified your account and that the PayPal account was not being used fraudulently. Our standard policy is to have PayPal reverse the chargeback before we reactivate your account. Since this is not an option in your case, I have reactivated your account with the expectation that you repurchase the chargedback title, Gratuitous Space Battles Collector's Edition, within the next 5 days. If you do not complete the new purchase in that time, your account will be disabled again.

Your account is now activated.

You will need to use a payment method other than your PayPal account. When a chargeback happens, the PayPal account is banned automatically; since the chargeback has not been reversed the ban on the PayPal account hasn't been reversed. Unfortunately, there is no way for me to do this manually.

Please note, this is a one time exception to our policy, any future chargebacks or payment reversals will result in the account, and all the games therein, being permanently locked.

12. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Yay glad it's sorted!

13. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

That's nice of Steam's customer support, fixing what PayPal messed up.

14. pandoraocicat

of all the things paypal could have reversed the charge on they picked this one. The Nvidia GTX 275 or 2tb hdd would have been my prefered choice this month.

15. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

At least is appears sorted. Well done to Steam for the good service imho. Bah sucks to Paypal by the sound of it.

16. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

good news man. big relief im sure.

could you now edit the name of the thread or something so it doesnt scare others off if it comes up on google? maybe just put resolved in the title?

i know youve had problems with steam but everything in life doesnt always go smoothly and getting worked up doesnt always help things, only causing yourself stress

17. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Im not surprised to hear this, I only use paypal as a last resort for anything. They are a terrible company.

18. sharpethunder

sharpethunder Minimodder

well i use click and buy and have no problem

19. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

I've had problems with Paypal in the past when they decided, on their own initiative, to reverse payments I had made - leaving me to apologise to the vendors and pay them by another route. Whatever Paypal's motives, they cannot be considered as a reliable service and people should bear that in mind (and I stopped using them as a result).

As for Steam, their reaction is clearly disproportionate but is also stated in their terms and conditions section C2:

"In the case of a one-time purchase of a product license (e.g., purchase of a single game) from Valve, Valve may choose to terminate or cancel your Subscription in its entirety or may terminate or cancel only a portion of the Subscription..."

So anyone buying anything through Steam can have their purchases revoked at any time at Valve's discretion - which means that those attempting to exercise their legitimate consumer rights to obtain a refund via credit card chargeback will face similar treatment.

So buyer beware - and the more you spend through Steam (or any other service using online activation) the more you stand to lose.

20. EdwardTeach

EdwardTeach What's a Dremel?

Scary stuff. I am glad it was resolved. I don't think I will be using paypal to buy anything from steam again. Makes you think twice about putting all you eggs in one basked by buying all games from steam.