1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Water Cooling into a PC-60 case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jazzzyj, 27 Sep 2004.

1. jazzzyj

jazzzyj Minimodder

Right so I have a lian-li PC-6 budget case thing... and I'm fed up with how loud it is. Thing is I have seen that water cooling takes up a lot of space in the case. I love the look of the cases by coolmiester in the gallerys with the huge tubing... but I can't see that fitting into a midi case.
    Anyone have a case like that... but I don't really want to have res on the outside really.
    so let the pics commence.. make me believe in watercooling.
    -J

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Forgive me if I am mistaken but I think the PC6 and the PC60 are both the same on the inside so you should be able to do exactly the same stuff as Paul.

3. jazzzyj

jazzzyj Minimodder

yea pc 60 / 6 thingys.
    Don't suppose you could point me to a pic or two could you?
    -J

4. Jamie

Pics of?

5. jazzzyj

jazzzyj Minimodder

of..
    A lian li PC-60 or PC-6 case with a watercooling system (CPU + NB + GPU) using large bore pipes like the ones Paul uses, Without needing an external rad/pump/res.
    -J

6. Jamie

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=49381
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=63662

Those two threads might help you with some of the placement. There are a few pictures in the Watercooling gallery that might help you too (see the top of the forum).

I fit a watercooling system in my flatmates PC60 without any problem. You just have to think about it before you start cutting. It is easier if you have the parts in your hands to play with and try different position for stuff.

7. Risky

Risky Modder

The big hassle is generally fitting the rad. Get the dimentions and do a lot of measurement. the pump isn't too much hassle and a res can be chosen to fit in what space you have left. Even with a full compliment of PCI cards and drives. I have a setup in a (modestly sized) GW802:

[​IMG]

(NB: I have a lot more hardware heading into this rig shortly :naughty: )

8. Darv

Darv Bling!!

Have a look through the watercooling gallery thread. My watercooling is in a PC60 and it fits fine.

And if I'm not mistaken most of Coolermeister's cases are midi cases.

9. jazzzyj

jazzzyj Minimodder

Right ok. So I think that this thing will fit
    thermochill 120.1 rad.
    then a fan behind it maybe... I also have to put a pump in there... maybe need to get a pump that is fairly square.
    any thoughts.
    -J

10. jazzzyj

jazzzyj Minimodder

na scrap that... I'll have the black ice job... that looks like it will fit wonderfully.
    -J

11. Jamie

How are you finding the Antarctica block Risky, I was thinking about getting one for my rig but never got round to it.

12. Risky

Risky Modder

I like it but I can't make an accurate comparison because the cpu, mobo and pump have changed. That said with this block and the Ap1500 pump on 12V (I haven't run it above this much yet) I'm keeping a 2.8 Prescott at ~40C with the fan on minimum.

It also looks cool if you have a res with multiple inlets :D

Big, big post coming soon when I get the other two blocks in.......

13. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

I'd take a pic of my 1/2" setup in my PC60 but I've only got my phonecam :( Basically, it's crowded. Room for one CD drive, as the DD res sits on top of that. The BIX wedges itself perfectly underneath the floppy bays where my hard drives go, and the 1250 sits at the back on the floor, with the outlet just squeezing between the two pipes coming off the Maze4 GPU block. It does all fit though, just about ;)

14. jazzzyj

jazzzyj Minimodder

erm sorry about the n00b question... but what is a BIX when it is at home?
    -J

15. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Black Ice Xtreme, made by hardwarelabs. It's probably the best rad you can fit in the PC-60 unless you want to drill lots of 120mm blowholes in the top of the case, and then you've still got problems with air collecting in the rad to deal with. It also conveniently wedges under the external 3 1/2" bays, so you don't need to worry about mounting ;)

16. jazzzyj

jazzzyj Minimodder

aaaaah of course :wallbash: how silly. Right yea... so one of them maybe on my list then.
    I've just realised partly why my current setup was running warm... I had the ext clock on my 2600+ barton up at 182 rather than 166. hence why it was idling around the 55 deg level... dropped about 5 deg setting it back.
    (btw do those temps sound right for that chip?)
    -J

17. jazzzyj

jazzzyj Minimodder

ok so I'm trying to work things out.. so please excuse my silly questions:
    This is 1/2"OD tygon tubing right?
    [​IMG]
    As borrowed from one of pauls posts (cheers)

Looking at the DangerDen Blocks though I'm not sure which sort is best? TDX Block? RBX block? Maze 4 or Maze 3?
    I'm too confused!
    -J

18. Darv

Darv Bling!!

Yes thats 1/2" tubing. And for the block, the latest one is the TDX so I would go for that one.

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Relax, jazzzyj. I've got a DUAL CPU watercooling system in a Lian-Li PC-12 (basically a PC60 with different front bezel, but internally exactly the same) and it all fits comfortably. Look at project Metaversa: Heavy Angel in the project logs for more details. :thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. jazzzyj

jazzzyj Minimodder

mmm that is very nicely done that... but you have taken out the 3.5 inch drive bays in the front. Well I need them for my HDDs.
    so in the top I have 2 cd drives, then 2 HDD.
    So really I need both lots.
    I like the look of the tankomatic res.. and would want to put that at the bottom of the case... a BIX in the front with a nice fan on the back, then I'm wondering where to put the 1250? are they easy enough to mount into 2 spare 5 1/4 bays?
    thoughts?
    -J

Tags: