1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Watercooling new boy

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kustom, 11 Mar 2007.

1. kustom

kustom What's a Dremel?

Hi there
    I’m new to this water-cooling lark so I’ve got a few, scratch that, a lot of questions to ask before I whip out the dusty wallet.

The basic situation is that I want to buy a system basically consisting of e6600, 2gb ram, an Asus P5W DH Deluxe, and probably a BFG 8800 GTS GFX card and then water cool it all including the chipset and voltage regulators using Aquacomputer stuff.

Option 1
    using a lian li v1000 case i was thinking of having a twin pump setup in the following arrangement

r-->pump 1--->240 rad (on top of case)--->cpu--->chipset--->voltage reg.--->loop back to reservoir
    e
    s-->pump 2--->120 rad(lower front aperture)--->gpu---->ram coolers--->loop back to reservoir

I think I can basically get this to fit at a squeeze in to the v1000 case but it really depends on what size the full metal jacket (FMJ)
    is for the aquastream.
    Question 1 what size is the aquacomputer FMJ?
    Question 2.can 2 pumps feed from one reservoir?
    Question 3 does anyone have any pics of what they have fitted into a lian li v1000 and also if I were to up the size of the 240 rad on the top of the case to a 360 would it render the top drive bay useless?
    Question 4. can the aquero take inputs from two flow sensors?

Option 2 would be to use a v2000 case then use a full size 360 rad on top
    Question 5 is a 360 rad enough to cool the whole system on its own?
    Question 6 would a single pump manage the whole system

Hope someone can shed some light on things for me
    Cheers
    Matt

Last edited: 12 Mar 2007
  2. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I've never heard of two pumps working in one loop... Don't see why you want to put two pumps in there bud, one is more then enough, and why are you wanting to cool everything? CPU, VGA is more then enough, NB if you must, RAM is a far option.. but voltage regulators...?

3. kustom

kustom What's a Dremel?

well i figured that with overclocking a little that the regulators would get hotter than usual and wouldnt have as much air flow to cool them down. plus on that mobo the heatsink for the chipset and voltage regulator is a single heat pipe arrangement.

4. DarkLord7854

You won't need all that, just the CPU, as long as there's some airflow in the case it'll be fine. I had my E6300 oc'ed to 3Ghz for a tiny bit of time, and I only had the CPU watercooled, but I preferred aircooling it, was cheaper and I wasn't in the mood to put all the w/c stuff neatly inside the case.

You're a bit on the overkill side :p

5. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

There is nothing wrong with cooling your V-regs if you want too, its your money and your choice.

I wouldn't bother with two pumps, one aquastream would do it but to be on the safe side i would upgrade to a Laing DDC variant. Its smaller, more powerfully and wont be much louder. The aquastream is also pricey for what it is, assuming its much the same price as it was last time i looked.

The FMJ is only slightly larger than the pump itself, if your not buying it for looks then i wouldn't bother as you will not get any EMI from the aquastream as. I ran one for well over a year right next to my drives with no problems.

The push-fit plug and cool connectors are incredibly secure and i would actually trust them over barbs. The most awkward part of using them is taking the tubing out of the fitting it gets so tight a hold. The tubing can also fully rotate within the fitting which makes routing easier and prevents torquing. The main downside is that you have to use stiffer tubing.

Questions aimed directly at Aqua-PC's would probably be best put either on their forums or sent to them directly via e-mail.

6. DarkLord7854

I notice people have a tendency to want to go a bit crazy with their first watercooling setup.

If I were you, I'd get a simple CPU cooling only, and add more blocks as needed. Chances are that's all you need and can invest the money in other things ;)

Tags: