1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Watercooling question...too much back pressure?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by RebootTech, 16 Jul 2012.

1. RebootTech

RebootTech Budget? What Budget?

Working on a case mode and fitting a full watercooling solution into a mATX case (build is in project log, Lian Li "Snail Impressions"...it's a working title). Have a question about possible design flaw.

Due to space constraints (and a case not designed for WC), I was considering using this radiator for part of the build:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/4082/ex-rad-82/Black_Ice_GT_Stealth_120_X-Flow_Radiator_-_Black.html?tl=g30c95s159

[​IMG]

However, I was planning to have water go into the bottom and out through the top, like this (updated crude mock-up with Sketchup drawing):

[​IMG]

After thinking about it, I'm wondering if it will create too much back pressure having the full radiator of water having to be forced out. Would I be better off with a top in, top out radiator? Think it will make a difference?

Last edited: 16 Jul 2012
  2. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

first of all those x-flows have preaty low pressure drop compared to other rads and blocks. i can't see any problems here... make a test run and if smth go wrong just make pump>cpu>rad>pump loop

3. RebootTech

Well, I simplified the diagram a bit for this question...it actually should show cpu going to an 80mm radiator and then to the res before returning to the pump.

It would be the same price for essentially the same rad with all top mounted hoses...Just thought it would be aesthetically more pleasing with the bottom in, top out. Good to know I may be able to keep that part of the design.

4. RebootTech

Here's sketchup drawings of two options (also updated initial post with better first graphic)...will there be a difference between the two? Eventually I will put a GPU waterblock in line between the small radiator and the res if there is room in the temperature margins (and once I have the funds):

Option A - Less restriction?
    [​IMG]

Option B - preferred for looks:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 16 Jul 2012
  5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

The simple answer to your question is that a decent pump will blow through any set up. It really is as simple as that.

6. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

No matter what configuration your setup is in, each component will have a definitive pressure drop across it. Including the pipes. This is all the pump cares about. Yes, there is a pressure drop ('head') due to gravity, but see how you are coming back to the pump? It negates it. As long as you start and stop at the same height, you can ignore any effect gravity will have on the pump.

7. RebootTech

That's good to know. I was worried that having more fluid on the "up" than on the "down" would provide more force and hinder things.

As it turns out, I may have to use the "two ports on top" rad anyway...bottom port is actually toward the back IRL. That may be to much in the way. Doh!

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

See if you can rotate the radiator 90 degrees. Then the ports fall in the right position.

Cross flow radiators have slightly less pressure drop but slightly less cooling performance. In practice the difference is so small it is negligible. In a closed loop, water being pulled down by gravity offsets the effort of pumping water up against gravity. It all balances out.