1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Way to gather "matching" files?

Discussion in 'Software' started by quizz_kid, 8 Sep 2013.

1. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Hi guys.

Let's say I have 3000 .png files in folder1, and 1000 .txt files in folder2.

Some of the files in folder1 are "clones" of files in folder2, namewise that is, not suffix/file ex included.

Now, is there an easy way to gather these "matching" files and move them to another location(folder3)?

Using Win 7.

//Quizz

EDITED

Last edited: 9 Sep 2013
  2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I don't think you can have two files of the same name in the same folder. So I'm curious how they can be the clones namewise. Or how you managed to do that.

3. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

Two folders and in them two folders are aprox 500 files in each with same name so can't be placed in one folder.

4. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Sorry, I think I just have a very hard time explaining what I need in english(I'm Swede)

I meant; some of the files in the .png-folder are identical(namewise) with some of the files in the .txt-folder.

These "clones" are not identical, they share the same name, but have different suffix(.png & .txt) and can be place in the same folder indeed.

Example:

What I have:

folder 1:

1.png
    2.png
    3.png
    4.png

folder 2:

0.txt
    2.txt
    4.txt
    5.tct

What I want:

folder 3:

2.png
    2.txt
    4.png
    4.txt

I have over 10000 files in each folder so I'd need some cmd promt or a pc tool I guess. But I can't just "google" this one =)

Last edited: 8 Sep 2013
  5. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Um? If there is different file extension, it won't matter one bit if they have the same name, because they really are not the same file name explicitly.
    Just move them into the folder as desired the usual way in the file manager, or if you like you could use teracopy or similar.

6. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Exactly!

("Clone" doesn't give the right description, but I just don't know what to call them)

Well, File manager and Teracopy can't help me gather the specified "matching" files I think.

As I said, I need something to gather all the matching files.

7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Fun game :)

There are probably tools or commands that will do what you want easily, but assuming I understand what you want, without any cleverness other than a bit of lateral thinking this might work.

----------------------------------

Make a copy of both folders somewhere away from originals to avoid confusion.

Change the extension of all the .png files to .txt by opening a command prompt and typing "ren *.png *.txt" (http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/batch-change-rename-file-extensions-in-windows/)

Move the contents of the .txt folder into the .png folder with the changed extensions skipping all files that are the same name

Put the .txt folder with the remaining files in it in a safe place and get rid of the .png folder.

Reset everything and do exactly the same in reverse,
    (Changing the extension of the the .txt files to .png and moving the contents of the the .png folder into the .txt folder)

Merge the two folders you have in a safe place and I think you have what you want.

8. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Thanks man, I believe your idea should work, sounds logic to me. Will try this tonight!

//Quizz