1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling WC for a 2,5" HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Duke Raoul, 30 May 2007.

1. Duke Raoul

Duke Raoul What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys,

I'm planing a watercooled mini desktop (flex atx) and I was thinking about incorporating a 2,5" notebook Hdd. I cant find any watercooling blocks for those small HDDs so does anybody know if somebody sells them?

If not: Do i actually have to cool the hdd? I'll be running a notbook cpu and a not-top-of-the-line GPU. The system will be cooled bei one single 120 rasd+fan and there will be no additional air-cooling in the box....

Thx and Greetz
    D.R.

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

These hard drives are usually crammed in close quarters inside a notebook with little or no ventilation. Even a slight breeze over a 2.5" hdd is overkill where cooling is concerned.

If you're running a notebook CPU and a low power graphics card, watercooling anything at all is pretty unnecessary. (unless you just want watercooling for the hell of it)
    With a decent heatsink, you can run the cpu without a fan and passive graphics cards are easy to get hold of so long as you don't need something top spec.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

To be honest I'd go with _tad's solution - maybe stick one, silent 120mm fan in there for good measure, but aside from that, a beefy HS should let you cool that CPU passively, and there are plenty of silent/passive graphics card coolers out there. :)

4. pdf27

pdf27 What's a Dremel?

Concur. Also, think about ducting the internal air - you can do wonders with a bit of cardboard.

Tags: