1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WD Raptor, worth the money to boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rgkgraphix, 1 Aug 2006.

1. rgkgraphix

rgkgraphix What's a Dremel?

If the Core2's ever come out, I figure the slowest part of my system will be the Hard Drive. I originally had planned to get the 74GB Raptor for my boot/applications drive, but the cost is making me think twice. The contender is a WD 160GB SATAII drive, both have the 16MB cache. The use of my computer revolves around having Illustrator, Photoshop, After Effects and sometimes Flash open at the same time, which these apps hit the paging file pretty hard.

I've read most of the user reviews that say boot time is is cut down and application load times are cut down as well, But the performance I'm mostly concerned about is switching between apps while under heavy use.

Would like to hear your opinions. Thanks.

2. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

If Core2's ever come out? they're out already m8.

Obviously your biggest concern should be quantity of ram in that situation. Have you thought about upgrading to 2GB? it would help quite a bit.

I have a 74GB raptor and think its brilliant. I can certainly say it runs very fast, although the new 132GB drive is supposed to be faster. Its hard to compare it to other new drives. Have a look at http://www.storagereview.com/ They have benchmarket many drives so it should give you a good idea of what you will get.

3. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I got myself a new 150GB raptor the other week and it's fantastic.

Put all of my prorams and games on there and they're certainly alot quicker to load, I'm not sure you'll find a huge performance increase in the programs you use though. For me personally, just having windows boot that much quicker and have every program load quicker makes it worth the (rather large) price tag.

4. rgkgraphix

I was being sarcastic about the core2's not being out. They haven't hit the store shelves yet, supposedly Aug. 7th.

Yeah the 1GB of Ram is just a starter set, so I could buy some other goodies. I plan on going up another Gig after I get the rest of my parts (Processor, Hard Drive and New Vid Card)

5. rgkgraphix

Thanks for the link,

So it's interesting that the 150 performs better than the 74. Is that because the 150 is newer?

6. Callum

Callum What's a Dremel?

I'd say that rather than spending money on the raptor, simply spend money on buying more RAM. You can get up to 8 GB now, 4 x 2GB DIMMS. But even 4 x 1GB DIMMS should be a bigger help than a Raptor.

7. rgkgraphix

So would this mean that the more RAM I have the less my system will become reliant on the page file so switching apps would be faster?

Even still though...8 GB is quite the price tag

8. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Hasselhoff™ Inside

as far as i knew XP couldn't address 8GB of RAM i think the max is 4GB under XP only ub3r server style OS's can address over 4GB

9. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Imho the raptor is a choice if there isn't anything else in you're rig to maximise. So if you're gonna run a water cooled X6800 @ 4GHz with 4GB RAM then yeah, fair enough. Otherwise upgrading other components is a better choice.

Personally, having owned one, I dislike the raptor. Firstly, it has a terrible price to storage ratio. Most "normal" SATA drives (for example a Samsung P120S or a Seagate Barracuda) are in the order of ~30p per GB, while the raptor (150GB non window version) is closer to £1.20 per GB. That means the raptor is some 4 times more expensive per GB. It's also really noisy, trust me. Even when idle, I could hear it above 3 case fans and the two stock fans on dual optys. So for all it's drawbacks, is it much quicker? Not a significant amount to be honest. Well, not worth the price difference, imo.

In your case, I would rather spend money on more memory. Since you multitask with memory hungry apps, memory is more important. Considering you can buy a 2GB DDR2 kit of Patriots and still have money left over for the cost of 1 raptor, I know which I would buy...

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Personally, I love my Raptor. These days though it's a bit pointless to buy one, because the top, flagship level drives from most companies are very close to the same speed whilst being about 500GB capacity.

Raptors were brilliant in the days where storage drives were pretty much that - only for storage. Now you can just buy a big, high-end drive and be on for a winner. Until the smaller versions of the new Raptor come out. :naughty: :D

11. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

The raptor is so expensive because it is an enterprise part, so it has to be tough and reliable and is why it has a 5 year warranty. It was not designed for the home user and compared to the SCSI drives it was competing against it was cheaper.

12. Renoir

Renoir What's a Dremel?

I also have a raptor (74GB version) and have a few thoughts.

First it's VERY noisy at load although I find it to be reasonably quiet at idle. Compared to my diamondmax 9 it is quicker but I find I only get dramatic improvements in certain situations. For example I've found that vius scans, defragmenting and installing windows to be significantly quicker. For general day to day stuff I personally feel I should've saved the money and bought something else. It does seem like for day to day stuff the newer 7200rpm drives won't be that much slower although I guess it depends on how picky you are and what you define as being a "significant" difference.

Now that I have a router, disc imaging software, defragging/disc clean up batch files and some other tweaks the things that the raptor really helped for I either no longer do or have become things that are no longer speed important because I set the pc to do them overnight (batch files).

Bit off topic but I thought I'd mention for perspective that I have been using a laptop with a 5400pm drive for a few months now and must say that I've been surprised at how well it's peformed for just general day to day stuff. It's at a point where for my next build I think I'm gonna sell the raptor and go for a high capacity and hopefully cool and quiet running 7200rpm drive.

In the end I agree with others in that for the usage you describe your money is better spent on ram. Hope this helps :)

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I love the load noise. The idle noise isn't so bad, but I love the classic load-noise grinding - sounds like a proper HD imho. None of this whisper-silent idea.

14. Renoir

Renoir What's a Dremel?

To each his own. At least you always know if it's seeking or not :D

15. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Xp can only take 2.8gb's,, but as you said only server OS's can take that much. 4GB is too much, no point, 2 gb is plenty.

16. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

No... TheoGeo was/is right. They're not only out now... but they're actually being used in systems now as well [over here in the UK at least] :rock:

17. rgkgraphix

Nice, I'm jealous. Over here there were a few places that at a very limited supply but those were gone in no time. Now everywhere you look they are all pre-orders or they show back-ordered.
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductList.jsp?ThirdCategoryCode=010431

Tiger Direct has the OEM's, a bit over priced for oem's in my opinion. Nonetheless ships in 7-10 days.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_slc.asp?CatId=2396

Newegg had the E6800 listed as out of stock for a few hours but then it disappeared and never has a core 2 shown up on their site sense.

So nothing has really hit the store shelves yet (other than the 6300). The word on the streets (at least on our streets) is all the stores will be well stocked for business on the 7th which coincidently is the start of Apples WWDC and Job's keynote where me just may announce Core 2 Apple desktops.

Otherwise, thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like I'll spend the money elsewhere instead of a Raptor.

18. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

My worry is MB blah. I am opting for 2 250 gb se16's WD mainly to even out so I use all the pins off the PSU. :rolleyes: