1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding WD2000JD SATA RAID 0 Jumpers???

Discussion in 'Modding' started by toyomatt84, 29 Sep 2004.

1. toyomatt84

toyomatt84 What's a Dremel?

Well, I'm setting up a RAID 0 setup on 2 Western Digital SATA 200 gig hdd's, WD2000JD, and can't seem to find the jumper settings for it. Are they the same for both drive? And, I've seemed to find 6 and 10 pin jumper settings, but I have 8 pins??? Plus, once all that's configured, does it matter which port on my mobo I plug each into? I can't seem to find that in my handbook for my mobo.

2. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

The jumpers on your drives don't acctually have anything to do with joining them into a RAID. To RAID the drives you need to have a mobo or add in card that supports doing it, ie it's the motherboard (or card) that does the RAIDing, the drives just sit there.
    Put the jumpers back where you found them, and get out your motherboard manual and look up in there how to make an array. If your motherboard supports it.
    If that doesn't help post what kind of motherboard you're using and I'm sure someone will be able to help you. Most newer boards with SATA support RAID, so you should be in luck.

(edit: oh, and this post probably belongs in Hardware)

3. toyomatt84

Well, I know my MSI microATX board supports it, that's why I bought it. I was curious as to if I should set the jumpers to Master or Slave or a mix/match of both. I will be using this setup as my os drive, so I was thinking they'd be both Master jumper settings.

4. Redd_Herring_1974

Redd_Herring_1974 What's a Dremel?

dude yer not suppose to mess with the jumpers on sata drives at all...you can only hook 1 drive to 1 channel for the time being till they come out with the newer stuff so if you changed anything put it back .....i have used sata raid on a msi board before youll have to set it up the array in the raid bios (read yer manual for more info on doing that) then you will need to load yer raid drivers and fomat the array :thumb: (if yer loading windows hit F6 to load the drivers from a floopy disk)

5. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

redd herring said it, my 2 Wd raptors came set I believe in cable select or auto for the jumper pins (and i didn't touch them). Are these going to be your main drives? if so you hafta install the raid drivers during the windows install

6. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

your mixed up in IDE and SCSI

SATA is simple
    its just 1 sata port for 1 drive
    so optimal performance

just dont fiddle around with the harddisk jumpers

and plug them in your motherboard
    and then read in your motherboard manual how to config it to raid

i with my asus motherboard have to go to the controller while booting
    and edit my sata prefrences there

7. toyomatt84

So, I'm going to need to have a floppy drive attached to the system, eh?
    Okay, that's not really tough. I have one lying around, that I could use for a temp. setup. I can prolly get the drivers for the RAID setup online then?

8. GMan

GMan Minimodder

Just thought I would mention that the jumpers on WD SATA drives only control whether the legacy power (the standard molex connection) can be used.

9. Redd_Herring_1974

you only need the floopy if yer doin a clean install of windows on yer new raid arry if yer just usein it for storage then you could load them from the cd from windows....its a shame i kow that ms choose to only allow you to load 3rd party drivers from floopy :duh: if it wernt for that youd be able to use yer drivers cd instead to get 'em on there

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Actually there's some way to hack the windows CD and stick all your RAID drivers on there, but as much as I hate floppies it's really not worth the effort unless you reinstall all the time.

I think it's safe to assume in longhorn this won't be a problem :) And maybe with luck even the OEM copies with SP2 preloaded, but I doubt it.

11. toyomatt84

Ok, I found a floppy that came with my mobo, would that contain the RAID drivers? I also found a CD, but I doubt that has it, judging by what you've all said.

12. Go4t

Go4t i

yes the floppy should have them on it
    isnt it labeled?

13. Redd_Herring_1974

yea thats true but sounded a bit too complicated for me :D :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

One can only hope :thumb:

14. Redd_Herring_1974

Go4t's prolly right if its labeled as raid my msi came with one but i promptly lost it after usein it once :D :wallbash: but if its not the drivers are on the cd so you could make yer own floopy if need be :thumb:

15. toyomatt84

Ok, sounds good. I'll be able to toss it together this weekend, we'll see how it goes. :D

16. Redd_Herring_1974

I hope it all works out for you :thumb:

sata raid is pretty ez i had few problems with it...IDE raid on the other hand was a pain in the butt :duh:

17. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

cheers for the info, I was wondering why they were there...