1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Web 2.0 declared "millionth English word"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Jun 2009.

1. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

nice viral... but dare i say that those 25.000 uses of the word n00b are more then accounted for just by people yelling it at me in COD4? Yes i use the tube, so sue me dagnabbit!

2. Deadpunkdave

Deadpunkdave ...why you need a 20-sided die

Hmm, disturbingly, online marketing types are already using Web 3.0 as well. The only accurate definition I can think of is

Web 2.0: noun, a synonym for world wide web, used primarily in order to make companies pay ridiculous amounts of money for new websites which a) they don't need and b) are generally harder to navigate and less helpful than their old website.

Setting aside the fact that our use of the internet evolves over time and doesn't make quantum leaps, the use of 'Web 2.0' is analogous to saying that when petrol cars are no longer the norm, we'll be driving whatever replaces them on Motorways 2.0. The internet is a means of sharing information; that the nature of that information has changed and our use of the system has changed does not change the system itself.

3. nicae

nicae New Member

If Web 2.0 is the second element in the sequence {Web 1.0, Web 2.0, Web 3.0, ...}, then the other elements exist as soon as you incorporate Web 2.0 into the English language.
    As a consequence, we now have infinte English words. Yay.

Tags: Add Tags