1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Weirdness in Esxi and Linux guests

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by nimbu, 19 Dec 2017.

1. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Ok I have a weird one for you guys.

I have a white box esxi server which has been running fine.

I decided to install a second ssd for some more storage same time I decided to reinstall the latest version of 6.5.

All appeared to go fine.

I decided to spin up a Lubuntu instance to do some handbrake transcoding. When trying to create the disk Esxi seemed to take ages. Didn't think too much of it.

Installed the guest os and filezilla.

Now I can start filezilla but as soon as I connect bang the vm freezes complete only a power cycle works. Host os is fine.

I thought back to the disk during setup. Reformatted the data store to vmfs 5.0. Same issue.

Created the vmdk on the other drive. Same issue

Resintalled Esxi, recreated the vm on the original disk, Same issue.

Went for debian instead of Lubuntu, same issue.

Used a different program to connect to the ftp server on nas, Same issue.

Am at the end of what I really know now.

My options are to roll back to Esxi 6, or try another hypervisor (Would by hyper v, as I don't like promos and have never used xenserver)

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

What about a standalone oVirt (uses KVM) with self-hosted engine (the management console runs in a VM on oVirt itself)?

3. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Hmm not used oVirt before.

Cut my teeth on ESX a fair few years ago. Use to manage a cluster for my role a while back, so i knew enough to get stuff done. (I use the term manage very loosely here). When I tried Proxmox, I just didnt find the UI that straightforward and canned it very quickly.

For the specific task I want to do, I have some other options, mainly distro, docker, map back to the NAS, grab a handbrake image and get on with the transcode. or Full fat distro baremetal and install handbrake.

4. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Decided to downgrade to esxi6 to see if that makes a difference.

5. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

ok, nope 6 just made it impossible to even upload an iso to the data store.

Have pulled this specific disk from the system and reinstalling to see if that helps. (I should really consider vmware on usb stick to make this easier....)

6. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Changing the disk for a known good one didn't make a difference.

So I decided to install hyper-v, you know just because. Installation went fine. Config'd the server for remote access.

Tried to remote manage the service, bang issue.

Spent a while googling, found some articles followed them, no cigar. Then I was reading some through the comments and found a suggestion that worked. Woot.

Ok go to create a vm no way I can see to upload the iso.

Go back to server, map drive to nas containing isos, cant browse network shares on the hyper v snappin.

Go back to server, copy is to the c drive.

Installed Lubuntu fine
    Connected to ftp server on nas fine!

So I kinda got it working. However I'm finding that the hyper v console is really not my cup of tea and would like to get esxi up and running again.

So the plan is:

1) for my own sanity, install Ubuntu to the baremetal machine and check all is ok.

2) revert the machine back to its last known working config.

Initially I had an 120gb evo in there. I removed the evo and added an older pro drive of the same size and added a 840 pro 512gb. I had also purchased new sata cables.

I also have a hunch it might be the quad port nic over heating. It's One of those common on eBay HP 360T types that should have direct airflow over it. Hasn't been an issue in the past but the wife has had the heating on full pelt lately.

I have another dual port NIC I can try or worst case revert to the realtec on board.

What fun! (Not)

7. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

8. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

It was 17.10 however I got the same thing with debian too, that coupled with the general esxi weirdness makes me feel that it's related to hardware somewhere.

I did just have to resolve some internal dns weird, Which it turned out my virgin media hub needed it's power cycled.

I am having some fun with my wireless too. The above issue was causing the upstairs ap to not route traffic. And for some reason the poe setup to the downstairs Wi-Fi has decided to stop working too.

(I have a poe+ switch powering another switch on the airing cupboard, Which in turn powers the ap downstairs, for some reason the poe switch in the cupboard is only getting poe power so it will no longer power the downstairs ap!)

Got to love technology, sometimes I really wish I was a regular consumer and didn't have to try all this stuff!