1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Western Digital WD-TV Live

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by el2k, 13 Sep 2011.

1. el2k

el2k Modder

Hey,

So my friend has one of these little bad boys!

It's pretty sweet, merely streams any video from any of your PC's on your network directly to you TV, Also it has this neat little function where you can browse youtube on it and watch the videos on your TV.

My question is, is there anything better on the market for doing the same job?
    Price/Quality wise.

All i want is to be able to stream to my TV from all PC's on my network.. and before you ask I do not own a PS3 or Xbox.

Cheers

2. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

3. el2k

el2k Modder

Thought as much.. And it's even dropped in price. I should stop being so tight and just order one huh!

4. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

el2k likes this.
  5. el2k

el2k Modder

Thanks for the help man. +rep for you.

Now do some work, Like i should be....

6. Ferino

Ferino Minimodder

Had one for about a year and a half now mate. Works well, I have mine hooked up to a 1.5tb storystation with all my dvds and blu rays ripped to it, never had any problems. It's connected to a network just to put new things on the hdd.
    It's going to be hooked up to a new microserver soon though.
    Excellent product, good price, would thoroughly recommend.

7. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

Its the best media streamer you can get in that price range. My only gripe was they pretend as much as possible it streams everything with wireless, it doesnt. You need to plug in a USB for that to enable.

8. el2k

el2k Modder

Thanks for the info guys, Just ordered one!

Do you know if a wireless USB keyboard can be used with it? Merely for searching for things on youtube... rather than having to use the tiny remote to type letter by letter using the onscreen keyboard.

9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

tbh the answer should be in the WD-TV forum mate.

10. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

The little remote is not difficult to use if you organize all your media. If you have things in folders to seperate tv and moves, than further seperate by show, season and have ordered by episode number its super easy to navigate. It just takes some time to organize all the media. I have one and it's great. I don't use the network / ethernet portion but I love it. Its portable so I can easily move than an external hard-drive from room to room as needed. Never had an issue with mine. I love it!

11. Sutters

Sutters Silent lurker!

Great to see the love for this little device!
    Use mine all the time and it's a great piece of kit.

Would be interested to hear from anyone using custom firmware and hearing what they've done?

My only ever problem has been using YouTube which blocks playback of certain videos on this device :waah: