1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU What CPU for everyday browsing?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mansueto, 2 Nov 2013.

1. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

It's a basic home pc for browsing. The mother and daughter use it for youtube and the odd bit of school work. Rather save money on the cpu and grab the SSD which I think will be more important in the long run to keep things fast and smooth.

I do like the amd APU's but I'd only suggest them for gaming on the cheap, or people who need some graphic acceleration for photoshop / illustrator for light work (aka maybe once or twice a month). For a basic computer I just feel there are more economical choices.

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Nothing wrong with nice little AMD E-350 or Atom itx system. They perform plenty well enough for such tasks especially with an ssd. I feel Win 8.1 helps a lot too... mention of school should see if they qualify for dreamspark and take care of Windows for free possibly. Can often get something this basic and be done with motherboard and cpu for same or less than intel 115X motherboard alone. Otherwise there are some recent release BGA Celeron/Pentium ITX stuff that is cheaper than separate CPU+motherboard. Only possible con I notice with those cheaper boards is there is only vga dsub, but that might not even be a concern.

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

In all honesty I still haven't found a reason to throw away LGA775 boards because they make brilliant browsing boxes.

Especially the 45nm chips.

4. littlepuppi

littlepuppi Currently playing MWO and loving it

Bice build... I would suggest if you want to save another 20 quid get this haswell pentium

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-497-IN&groupid=701&catid=6&subcat=567

only 300mhz slower but 22 quid less... Then if they want in the future they can stick a 4770 in for a massive upgrade!

nice call on the SSD, I would 100% agree with that, although (more) food for thought.. Maybe just drop the mechanical and the cpu down... and then put the extra into a 250GB evo or something like this
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-009-SD&groupid=701&catid=2104&subcat=2394

just to give them a bit more SSD space.. If they really want somewhere to put their photos etc maybe some sort of external that they can add themselves at a later date would be better?

5. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

They don't take a lot of pictures and such. Also, I'm in Canada so prices are a tad different here. It's basically a youtube machine for the daughter and the odd bit of word for school work. If they complain its expensive I can always cut it down to 4gb of ram and grab a smaller / cheaper hard-drive but I'm adamant about them having that SSD.