1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks what does a router do?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Irteza, 12 Jun 2004.

1. Irteza

Irteza Banned

what is the job of the router? i have got a 600k ntl connection and i want to share it with my bro's pc will it split the speed in half or will it stay the same my pc is goin to be the main pc if i turn my pc offf will my bro still be able to use the internet

2. SJH

SJH Minimodder

Essentially a router is an extremely slimmed-down version of a computer - it contains a motherboard, a bit of memory, and a couple of other components, and has its own ip address through which computers can access the internet. They normally have ethernet connectors (which can either be connected to a switch with the computers plugges in, or directly to the computer(s)).

If you turn your PC off your brother will be able to access the internet just fine, and speeds will stay the same. However you'll find that the internet may slow down substantially on one machine if the other machine is using the internet 'heavily' - playing online games, downloading giant files, etc.

Hope this helps you :)

-Sam

3. ajack

ajack rox

You could always limit his bandwidth if your speeds slow down.... :naughty:

4. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

And how would one go about this? I've been looking for a way to limit my sister's bandwidth for quite a while now. :wallbash:

5. craigey1

craigey1 Minimodder

6. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

i've got a dsl 504 and its got no options for bandwidth limiting :eyebrow:

what router are you using that has it?, because i want one.

7. ajack

ajack rox

I don't do it personally, could use something like NetLimiter though.

8. HRH_Nick

HRH_Nick What's a Dremel?

A friend of mine is endlessly having fights with his brother about one having slow Internet because the other is downloading something. From what I can gather, there aren't always options for limiting bandwidth as they seem to solve things by yelling obscenities at each other and unplugging each other from the network.

9. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

AFAIK NetLimiter only allows you to limit bandwidth for applications on the actual PC, so that's no good since the person who uses the PC can easily change it.

There's another program similar to that called DU SuperControler.
    That same company is working on a new prgram called DU SuperControler for IC Sharing that will allow bandwidth limits on PCs sharing a connection.

EDIT: Just noticed the site was last updated last year! :lol:

There is a beta version available if you look in the forums though.

Last edited: 13 Jun 2004
  10. bmh.01

bmh.01 What's a Dremel?

The technology in routers which allows you to limit bandwidth is called packet shaping, and you'll will only find it in expensive (£150+) routers as it is generally not deemed a soho feature.

Tags: