1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding What happened to my mouse?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Shoobie, 2 Feb 2004.

1. Shoobie

Shoobie What's a Dremel?

Okay, I was trying to change the LED in my mouse. I desoldered the stock LED, but in the process of soldering in the new one, the traces got all messed up (the green stuff started flaking, then the solder wouldn't stick to the board). So I just used the 5v line for the LED (with appropriate resistors). But when I try to use the mouse, Windows wont even detect it. I checked for shorts, and there are none. The LED lights up, and that's it. Is this mouse toast? I'm guessing it is.

2. Megadoomer

Megadoomer What's a Dremel?

sounds to me like the mouse is infact DED dead and if windows wont even detect it thats a good sign even though i dont really know the full situation

3. Shoobie

Shoobie What's a Dremel?

That's what I thought....

Good thing it was only a $10 mouse. I guess those traces were more important than I thought.

4. PC JUNKY

PC JUNKY Banned

Not to sound like a jerk, but if it is only a $10 mouse it has probably cheaply done traces and circuitry in it. Which explains why it won't work anymore. :confused: :confused: :confused:

5. TMM

TMM Modder

lightly sand where the traces got all screwed up and then solder the led to the proper position

6. Neo40k

Neo40k What's a Dremel?

If you can’t do that trace the traces back to another connection point and carefully :worried: solder across the newly discovered connections an LED…But what happened is that you created an open in the circuit…you might notice that the LED wasn’t always on full before…when you left it alone for a few seconds it dimmed and when you toughed it got brighter.. as far as the mouse is concerned there is nothing to light your surface because there is not LED connected to where it should be :nono: .