1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding What is the thread size of VGA and DVI cable thumb screws

Discussion in 'Modding' started by MikeMania, 3 Dec 2012.

1. MikeMania

MikeMania What's a Dremel?

For a project of mine, I salvaged some standoffs from the connectors of some scrapped graphics cards. However the screw that goes into them doesn't seem to be 6-32 or M3. Weirdly enough, I had some screws that were the perfect fit, but I don't have enough. It is a thread size right between 6-32 and M3.

I should probably just use some standard MB standoffs, but they're already screwed in and I'm hoping to learn a thing or two.

2. Dr.Joe

Dr.Joe What's a Dremel?

it should be 4-40

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

http://www.pacificcable.com/photos/DVIFS-Diagram.gif should help :). And next time use Google Images with the search string "CONNECTORNAME connector drawing" (replace CONNECTORNAME with the required name, that is DVI, D-SUB, HDMI etc), you will get your answer quicker.

4. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

4-40 jackscrews

Pairs of 4-40 thumbscrews are used to fasten certain connectors to hardware ports. The screws are typically located on either side of D-subminiature connectors such as on VGA, serial, parallel, and legacy game controller ports. They are also more recently used on DVI connectors. The typical length for a 4-40 screw used in PCs is 0.18 in.