1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics What PCI-e Card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wilkyboy, 31 Oct 2006.

1. wilkyboy

wilkyboy What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, A friend of mine is looking to buy a new graphics card, he needs a PCI-e, with a budget of about £100, i know he wants an nVidia, but i am out of the loop at the moment so i thought i'd ask you guys :thumb: Thanks!

2. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

youll be able to get a 7600gs for that, and maybe a 7600gt.. id say jsut go for that. get a 7600gt unless you can get a used 7900gt or 7900gs

3. wilkyboy

wilkyboy What's a Dremel?

4. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

Its cheap because they put 512mbs on a card that can't take advantage of it. It's a marketing tactic to get people to pay a lot for a card that doesn't offer much performance advantage over a cheaper version of it with half the ram. The 7600GT 256 would easily outperform that because it has better memory(GDDR3 over GDDR2) and a better GPU core. The amount of memory isn't as important as the type(DDR, GDDR2, GDDR3, GDDR4) and the interface(64, 128, or 256-bit).

5. Silver Shamrock

Silver Shamrock What's a Dremel?

If he could stretch a little more he could get a 7900gs for under £120. They are excellent value. I'm getting at the end of the month!

6. yitchee

yitchee What's a Dremel?

by the way can anyone assist in explaining what is PCI-e-card???, i noticed that a lot of model with 1x, 16x .........???x, so which one is the best or good performance? and AGP card is them being outdated???? or? :worried:
    sorry....coz i out of the IT world so quite so time.........no broadband..... :waah:

tyhanks

7. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

PCI, Peripheral Component Interconnect, the 1x 2x 4x 8x 16x you see is the bandwidth, or speed data is trandfered at. Each lane on the PCI slot has 4 Pins, so 1x has one lane, 2x has 2 lanes and so on till 16x. PCI transferes 100MB/s per pin. So as you can imagine, 16x is the fastest, so 16x is the best performance your gonna get. AGP (accelerated Graphics Port) cards are not as fast, as they have less pins (AGPx8)

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

In practice you won't see anywhere near saturation of a 16x PCI-e/8x AGP slot with a single card system. Don't fret. :)

9. yitchee

yitchee What's a Dremel?

hi, then how about SLi??
    two card together in a MOBO, what that? so i need two monitor or :idea:
    haha, jus asking, then is AGP outdated???
    so if i wan to buy new MOBO, look of PCI-e???

10. overdosedelusion

SLI is the use of 2 IDENTICLE cards in PCI-E x16 slots, the motherboard must support SLI for this to work. Essentially the 2 cards help take the strain off each other in high settings situations. You do not need to have two monitors. however you cun run two monitors together to increse the desktop space, even on a single card, but youll find it hard to find games that run at those kind of resolutions. and it will be piss anoying anyway because guess where the crosshair is.

AGP is not really outdated, it is used mostly in SFF PC's, it is a cheaper solution if you want to run todays games at average settings.

But if you want a new mobo then PCIx16 slots are really a must, if you want SLI you have to make sure its an SLI mobo, there are some cheap ones out there.

11. Clawz114

Clawz114 What's a Dremel?

Hi, I'm the guy who was looking for the graphics card!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys but can you put some links up to some sites selling them please.

My budget isn't exactly £100 but its around £100 meaning il be able to stretch a little bit.

Thanks!

Dan

12. overdosedelusion

Tags: