1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics What should I do? (980ti, Fury X)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeK, 17 Jun 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I find this more interesting tbh.

"32-bit video game system"
    "So advanced it can't be viewed on a conventional TV or LCD screens"
    ".....depth that only Virtual Boy can deliver"

Just so you know, they both(AMD + NVidia) have VR tech.

Last edited: 29 Jun 2015
  2. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

have you tried the dk2 Damien?

If not take it from me if you are into FPS, I had ARMA 3 working with vorpex, its off the hook... its like being a soldier, hugely impressive FPS gaming, I loaded up the map, VR practise.

hugely impressive experience.

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Pretty biased view of things in my opinion, but you've obviously done your research and made up your mind.

4. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

AMD need to define their dream,

With NVidia I understand what I am buying with AMD I am not sure/

I am not sure if the drivers will be updated in a timely fashion, I am not sure if they are motivated by cutting edge, VR, or excellence.

The only thing I know about AMD is that they are a suffering outfit, their excellence is under duress.

AMD has the chance to step into the next generation and become defining standard.

How many AMD sponsored Dk2 demos have you tried?
    How many AMD sponsored VR headsets have you seen?

The future is filled with infinity, no one company can cover all the bases and nobility and passion is required.

AMD need to be able to say, we stand on enjoyment of our users, we wish to define the future, we wish to participate.

I have no idea about AMD other than that they make x2 devices which smash NVidia to the side but have poor driver and functionality support.

Why is it I have to buy an NVidia card?

I want options.

Also not to be non political correct here but there is ENOUGH more than talented guys and girls working at AMD here and a far but they are constantly hedging.

AMD if you are reading this, bet every thing including the farm on VR. stop messing around.

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'm betting VR is another fad. Just like 3D.

A fad that the industry will be duty bound to explore, but a fad nonetheless. As cool as you like, for a short period of time, and then quietly forgotten; but not before they've rinsed the early adopters for a sizeable sum.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Wondered that myself with VR more so on consoles. How can a console offer the same VR experience that needs several high end gpus to really play correctly.

Never really got into 3d, Sky have dumped there 3d channel which is pretty much end of the road for 3d in the UK. In the cinemas it looks awesome but getting that experience at home is much harder to the point of impossible for your average consumer.

VR could also suffer this having used dk2 in a pre setup booth for a driving simulator I thought it was excellent but I don't have the space to replicate that experience at home and it does make me wonder if the VR home experience will be a lot different to the experiences in big booths .

7. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

You shouldn't be making those comments, VR is already a done deal complete.

Take it form me a C64 Vic 20, Amiga shadow of the beast, buggy boy operational wolf man.

VR is the real deal, the tech is at a sufficient level today that its possible.

VR is Hugely impressive.

I have not been as impressed with any thing in my 39 years.

You have to remember the Dk1 was hugely impressive.
    Oculus has taken 300+ of the greatest available with what ever funds required and smartly allowed 12 months further for the tech to catch up.

for both early and late adopters some thing really special is in store here.

This is Disney land stuff, with in 2 years at a reasonable $400 to $600 every home will be able to enjoy in perfect measured approach to gaming/education.

I am 110% behind VR,

It will mean so much between linking our and our siblings dreams to actuality.

VR is a good thing, make no mistake about it, it holds the largest potential for good I have seen in my life.

VR today is 1 million per- cent not a fad.

8. David

I'm certain I can make those comments... However, I didn't say it wasn't a done deal. So are electric cars, but they'll soon fade to make way for hydrogen fuel cells or reconstituted cow sh!t.
    Age is not a valid credential, nor does it bestow you with clairvoyance.

I started with a ZX81, but that doesn't make my point of view any more or less valid than yours.
    I think you need to learn to preface those statements with "I believe".

For myself, I believe you'll be one of those queuing up to get rinsed; and perhaps I should thank you for it. You see, I view this latest attempt at VR as yet another faltering step, and maybe one that lays a foundation for a more credible development further down the line, or just an evolutionary dead end.
    Now, I had a briefl look at what I later learnt was DK1, and I'm talking 20 minutes, max. I'm not going to try and claim I know masses about the tech, because I don't. It was an impressive experience that quickly diminished with time. Other than the initial wow factor - I saw an open cockpit racing sim and a kind of FPS walkabout experience strikingly similar to walking around the Citadel in Mass Effect - my lasting impression was the inkling that cross-eyed migraines were just waiting to pounce and that any tech that required you to strap something to your forhead needs re-thinking. It wasn't heavy like the old VR headsets in the games arcades twenty years ago, but it felt unbalanced and ungainly; and a step further than I was willing to go to play games with any frequency.

Again, I thank you for your inevitable monetary contribution to future R&D. :p

That last bit was a just a piss-take - I couldn't help myself.

I see this as a step backwards in some respects - just like 3D film making. As an example - take Avatar. A poor quality sci-fi Pocahontas with one big selling point: the 3D perspective. They'll churn out any old crap and wrap in 3D and it'll sell. It's enough to make you weep.

We're gunna get sh!t, served up as fillet steak, just because it's fed to us via a VR headset, as if that somehow makes up for the dearth in quality. The depressing thing is how many people will tuck in and even ask for seconds.

9. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Rainbowbridge can sometimes sound a little bit cult leader like, but having had the DK2, and used it with Elite Dangerous, I'm 100% certain that it is the next step for gaming. Like everything it'll take a few years to really mature, but when it does, for a number of genres, there will be no going back.

3D is a silly fad, that the film industry used to milk people of more cash at a time when revenues were declining.

There is a reason Sony dedicated 50% of their extremely expensive E3 booth to VR, Microsoft have done deals with both Oculus and Valve, Michael Abrash and John Carmack have committed the next part of their careers to it and people like Peter Jackson are calling it a 'major upheaval in the entertainment industry'..

So many times, we've had hype for tech that hasn't *really* delivered, but in this case, my personal opinion is that its utterly warranted.

10. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I must admit that despite usually being more than happy to let the latest fads and trends pass me by, I'm really looking forward to experiencing VR.

As well as the obvious "first person" applications such as driving/flying sim's and shooters, I'd love to try a RTS, platformer and especially pinball in virtual reality.

I've said it before but when I finally get my hands on one, I won't be resurfacing for days. :D

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

QFT.

Just because something is impressive or technically superior doesn't mean it's going to see wide spread adoption, let alone be a success.

I'm not sure people are going to warm to the idea of having to don a head mounted display every time they want a bit of casual gaming, it's a bit like how a steering wheel & pedal set makes playing racing games much better if you can be bothered with the faff of setting them up.

Is everyone going to want to spend hundreds of pounds on something that may only be used on occasions? Does everyone buy steering wheel & pedal sets to play racing games, or do some just use that handy analogue controller they already have laying around.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

I wonder what numbers people would consider a successful VR launch 1million ? 10million? There's meant to be 600mil give or take PC gamers according to latest figures would 1% of that be to much to ask. I think it would be personally.

I think it will go slowly and if it break 2mil units sold then it's done brilliant.

13. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Points to VR not being a fad:

- BOTH GPU manufacturers working on implementing VR-specific driver components (and in the case of Maxwell, hardware elements for multi-viewport rendering)
    - ALL THREE major game engine producers (Epic's Unreal engine, Unity, and Crytek's CryEngine) implementing VR support
    - Two of three console producers adding VR support; Sony doing it properly (with their own headset even) and MS jumping on with a hilarious retrofit (you can play your games in a virtual living room!) after initially incorrectly considering it a fad.
    - Three manufacturers with consumer VR headset and controller sets nearing consumer release (and Samsung with a VR headset for the Note 4 and S6 already on the market), with DK1 and DK2 already available form Oculus for development.
    - A whole bunch of other VR heatset designs from basic clones (e.g. OSVR) to divergent designs (e.g. StarVR), and plenty of peripheral devices like STEM and many passive ODTs.
    - Multiple big names from the early days of PC gaming coming out of the woodwork and saying "THIS is what we've wanted for several decades!"

There's a crap-ton of investment going in, AND a lot of people putting actual work into VR development. And that's for the past 3 years without consumer devices even being available yet. There's actual momentum here from multiple parties, rather than just Hollywood throwing money at Cameron in the hopes of"well we've gotta have something".

14. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Whilst VR may not appeal to the most casual of gamers at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if that changes. With Facebook's involvement, there are probably incredibly addictive casual immersive VR games and other social VR applications already in the pipeline.

"Stroke Pony, Paint Rainbow! Your favourite social MMO now with immersive VR!"

As for less casual gaming, I can't see fans of driving sim's, for example, going back to "flat-world" once they're tried VR. Just like trying to play with keys after using a good wheel & pedals, it'll feel rubbish in comparison.

Last edited: 30 Jun 2015
  15. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Sounds much like 3D adoption, everybody jumped on that, look how well that is going, which is a real shame as 3D was actually good if you had the right gear (good screen), you could share the viewing experience with the family cheaply with either passive/active glasse, VR seem very much for the loner, not really going to be a shared experience. So in many ways much more limited in scope that 3D, so can't see it being a breakout widespread experience, unless you can get the gear for £20.

16. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

May seem biased but it's also pretty accurate based of the last lot of games that have come out with the Gameworks API's in them, and AMD almost instantly crying about nVidia sabotaging the performance of there cards.

nVidia have created something for people who use there cards to improve the visuals of the game using technology in the, cards that they have bought.

AMD meanwhile have not created the same sort of stuff and instead cry about it and then release a driver to help the performance of there cards, in the games that use Gameworks like The Witcher 3.

Yes Gameworks might not be the best thing for all gamers, but it just seems that if one company does something good for there customers they always get backlash from the other companies.

17. David

That investment will likely pale in comparison to the money stumped up by the TV manufacturers and film companies to push 3D. How well is that doing?

Accessibility is key for any chance of success. It has to be financially and socially acceptable to the masses, not just the gamer geeks.

18. rollo

rollo Modder

VR on consoles I thought was just been used as a different display device not real VR. As neither console is surely capable of the fps target.

Could you not say the same about smart watches the 2 biggest brands in tech with multiple others looking at making one including big watch brands. Estimate put it at just under 4mil sold which is nothing special after R&D.

Think VR has as much chance of been a success as the Smartwatch does both could be classed as fads.

19. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

VR is like smart watches?

Are you drunk? :D

20. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

VR is going to be the ultimate sharing platform, the ability to truely be there and be with ohers is really Going to be impressive. Class rooms will be able to go on real life virtual educationsl out of class vists and see amazing things. The cyber socal aspects are not possible to be gauged.

Do not underestimate presance, the overwhelming feeling of being in another place.

What oculas has done is a mini manhatten project, ithey are also clearly stating
    Fast generational progress of the units, so things like fov are going to get to full vision
    Saturation.210deg?

I have two vr motivated projects a sports car and my main project is dedicated to
    The 55 year old and ups, its the sweetest thing in the wold i can think to do and is going
    To really be some thing special, i want it ready in time for commerical oculas and as respect
    To the older generation, my motivation is to put back to the older generation andet them play
    Out a scence from their youth.

Nvidia stock price is going to go up because people definately will pay the required to get
    The ultimate vr experience. I never thought i would go sli but i see the value in doing so. I just never thought i would go sli.

The main thing for us all is that we get closer to pur passion about gaming, and hopefull it allows us
    To enjoy technology and be closer as a community,

Vr will make new communitys, there will be so much fun for every one from young to old
    Every person in socity will have some sweet spot for VR

I am getting in early with my vr dream

If you are a consumer, clear the deck, be ready for the commerical oculas
    I have such a good feeling for vr, its the younger generation that are going to take to it like ducks to water.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.