1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards What socket 775 motherboard for 8Gb DDR2?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by timd75, 16 Oct 2008.

1. timd75

timd75 What's a Dremel?

Yeah, it's my fault really I guess for not researching properly. I do feel that the mobo people should be a bit more open about it, but it doesn't take a lot of research to realise that what I wanted wasn't going to work out. :(

It gets used for CAD work for the most part, and here the memory is most important as I use some pretty large assemblies at times. Other than that I use various rendering packages too which are more than capable of maxing out both the CPU and the memory on this machine and others on my network. At some point soon I will go through the sticky on this forum about overclocking the quad core chip and push it up a bit, but don't feel the need to go too silly with it.

Quadro is for the CAD stuff. Automotive mainly.

Last edited: 17 Oct 2008
  2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Having a think.. You work at CFT? I am a Design student at the moment on placement and ive not heard of many places back home that are design related.

3. timd75

timd75 What's a Dremel?

Think bigger.. ;)

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

no not lotus! If so very jealous!

5. timd75

timd75 What's a Dremel?

Yup, Lotus. I work in the styling studio there.. :)

6. OracleGuy

OracleGuy What's a Dremel?

Pardon me for jumping in here, but I stumbled across your thread because I'm starting a new build and am also hoping to get 8 GB running on an Asus P45 board.

What I've discovered is that this problem is widespread, apparently across different motherboards, chipsets and types of RAM -- both DDR2 and DDR3. The advice I was given on the Corsair support forums was that to get stability with 4 sticks of 2 GB, it's necessary to use fast memory and run it at stock speeds, e.g., DDR2-1066 at 800 MHz or DDR3-1600 at 1333. That certainly seems to be your experience. It may be that if you'd have bought DDR2-800 you'd have to run at 667?

I've also been told on another board that increasing the voltage on the board's MCH will do the trick. You might try that, if you can find such an option in your BIOS.

I guess that's why server and workstation motherboards use FB-DIMMs -- to get stability with larger amounts of memory. Unfortunately the Intel 5400 chipset boards (which can use FB-DIMMs) are dual-socket 771, and the boards themselves are very expensive, as are the faster 771 pin CPUs. The memory for them is only DDR2-800 anyway.

I think you might have to be satisfied with 8 GB at 800 MHz.

7. timd75

timd75 What's a Dremel?

Yup, that's the conclusion I've come to as well. I've had a bit of a fiddle in BIOS but all I tend to do is stop the thing POSTing, so have given up for now. Knowing the way I do things I'll end up over volting it to the point of smoke pouring out of the thing, so better safe than sorry! It's not like it's slow in any case! :)

8. NickElliott

NickElliott What's a Dremel?

Tags: