1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What the hell. Sony imitate Nintendo (E3)!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Boon, 9 May 2006.

1. Boon

Boon What's a Dremel?

Okay so the new PS3 controller and it's a dual-shock with a Nintendo controller integrated. Don't know if anyone else was watching the presentation but this really does look like a real coup from Sony over the competition.

Possibly with the graphics of the 360 with the versatility of Wii Sony seem to have scored a slam dunk.

2. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Yeah in the back of my mind I'm thinking perhaps this XYZ interface is a sort of "response" to the Wii's controller when it was first announced. When the Warhawk developer was playing with it the controller certainly reminds me of those actions which gamers today do with current generation controlers :p

Whilst I'm itching in seeing how other developers will utilise this new "innovation", I'm disappointed that they didn't make a "dent" to the style of the controller. Not even a bit curvier, or nicer looking buttons... sigh.

3. Boon

Boon What's a Dremel?

I'm a semi-fan of the dual shock controller. My only real gripe is the missing middle of the digital direction pad. I simply hate the 4 button pad design. The greatest direction pad came with the Saturn 2nd gen controller and perhaps even a simple Nintendo cross. Anything else seems to be a case of looks over usability.

4. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

[​IMG]

I laughed this morning when I saw Sony's rehashed controller. God does this company have no originality? Its the same old rubbish, again, but with a tilt sensor to cheer up all the fanboys. [​IMG]

And you do realise that the tilt sensor is equivalent to only the accelerometer in the nun-chuk part of Nintendo's controller?

Still it'll sell well, there are plenty of idiots in the world who want to play the next version of Fifa.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Anyone got a pic?

6. bassboi72

bassboi72 My dremel is broken.

7. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I'm more interested in whether they sort out the current crappy analogue sensitivity on the sticks tbh. The sticks on the original Xbox S-pad and the current 360 pad are far better. As for the motion sensitive controller... if the Nintendo Wii is as 'revolutionary' as we are led to believe control-wise, then this is going to look like a silly gimmick by comparison.

8. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Motion sensors seem to lend themselves to one-handed controllers much better IMO.

9. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Jesus, that looks like a waste of money tbh.

*Sits Down And Plays 360*
    Correction *Would If Not At College*

:p

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No wait wait wait wait..

http://image2.ruliweb.com/data/news7/05m/09/ps3/ku01.jpg

THAT?? is the new one. The one that looks EXACTLY like the old one?? The one I cant use for **** because it's so unerganomic it's PAINFUL.

What a botch job. Cant think of something new so why bother. And the LEDs for the 4 lights are hardly innovativly integrated compared to the 360 controller. Talk about something chucked together.

Great, now I cant use a PS3.

And I love the fact you HAVE to buy the more expensive 60gig to get HDMI, otherwise it's "AV" = composite.

And an online music service, which will no doubt be IP limited so I cant buy Japanese songs (like it is currently with Sony Music), so it'll be like everything else on the market. Wonderful.

Looks like the 360 is onto a winner tbh.

Last edited by a moderator: 9 May 2006
  11. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Why pretend the funny looking banana shaped controller was for real and then peddle a controller that is now effectively three generations old? "If it ain't broke..." could apply here, but look how Microsoft refined the S-Pad into the 360 pad, and Nintendo adapted the idea of the N64 pad into the even better Cube pad.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It just pisses me off because the PS controller HURTs to use. I cant use the analouge sticks because they are in completely the wrong place, the D pad sucks for giving blisters and you cant get a proper grip on it unlike the cube controller or xbox.
    Look at the pics on how the guy is holding, no corressing it. Who the hell plays with their PS like that? finger tips? I wanna grip it with excitement not tease it.

13. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

I like it. Then again I love the current PS2 controller design.

14. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Seems that the PS3 controller only has a tilt sensor, not a full-on motion sensor like the Wiimote. Well, half of the Wiimote has tilt, the other has motion sensors.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Do people enjoy RSI, Blistered thumbs and crampt hands?

This confuses me.

I know so quite a few people that have come away from playing on a PS complaining of pain (in a manly way), but ultimately satisfied about the gaming experience, compared to a GC fan for example, which just tend to complain of bad eyes :p

16. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

No, I guess not. But then again, a lot of people don't seem to have a problem with the PS2 controller - myself included.

17. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Have they nicked the guide button concept from the 360 controllers?

Or is that little button in the middle for something else?

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Middle button should be the connect one. Im betting hold down to turn off or on, and press to connect to console and autoselect a channel. Or, other way around.

19. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Least they scrapped the boomerang pad.

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I still dont see what was really that wrong with that. It was different, and people hate change, but I imagine it might have been quite nice to hold and play with.

Tags: