1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do with mah moneh?

Discussion in 'General' started by DeX, 29 Aug 2003.

1. pheonix

pheonix Toot Toot!

:eeek: Thats quite alot of money....I really don't think you should be spending that much money!

My Budget:

£200/Month - Food & Social - Provided By Parents
    £2700/Year - Accomodation

:)

2. Cheese

Cheese Doc

I lived off my student loan at uni fine and things are almost London prices in Oxford. Don't forget you can work in holidays for extra money...

Personally I'd say buy a decent 15" TFT - a 17" CRT isn't much cheaper and is more painful to use IMO. 17" TFT is probably spending more than you should :)

Rob.

3. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Nice budget, hope you're not doing maths! 12530 - 250x12 = 9540

Rob.

p.s.

Ahh I see - that total should be 10740 :)

4. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

thats a lotta of unexpected costs

5. Sid

Sid Banned

lol, I had worked it out then I edited the post to add in money for clothes and just kinda changed the figures a bit, lol. :hehe:

It's £10740-£3000=£7740

Because it's a mortgage I'll be paying into, it means that I get a lot of the money back when I sell the flat so I can pretty much clear my student loan at the end of it all.

6. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

him im gonna try to break this down in $ ok. Lets see

Rent-$535 a month
    Phone Bill-$35 a month
    Water- $51 a month(plus $6 for additional person)
    Electricity-$133 a month(plus $8 for additional person)
    Cable- $40 a month
    Internet-$40 a month
    Culligans-$10 a month
    =$839

Food is $50 to start plus $100 for every person so if 2 people then food=$250

If you drive then insurance is about $150 and a car payment so my sisters is about $400
    =$550

Thats to live comfortable (barely) and drive to work in a newer car with a warranty.

$1639 for 2 people

5 people live in my house so are bill is about

so We spend about $2119 in bills :(

7. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

well uhm...
    can't u do bought ??

I worked for 1 month this summer vacation.. and I bought a Acer 17" TFT , lovely screen (I also was still stuck with a crappy 15" crt) , and I still have money enough left to buy... 4 of them screens...

L

8. penski

penski BodMod

Hair...cut?

Um...

Monthly wage = ~£900

Spending: just under £500 on rent, bills et cetera...

Rest either saved or spent on gadgets.

n

9. Cheryl

Cheryl What's a Dremel?

Its alright for some!!! I have to pay both!!! If you got any spare cash ,you could always donate it to my poor student fund!!!;)

10. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Well, I bought the monitor. An LG 1710B to be presice. But you guys in the other thread recommending this monitor lied! You said it didn't display the blurring effects that occured on the old TFT I was using but it does! :grr: If I click and hold the mouse wheel and scroll down a page smoothly the text becomes unreadable. It's the same when moving a window around smoothly. The screen splits horisontally when moving images around the screen. Everything that happened with the old monitor happens with this one, albeit not to quite the same degree.

Anyway I still think it was worth the £250 I paid (mum paid a quarter of it :p). The screen is a lot larger and I'm loving this high resolution and it still probably takes up less room than my old 15" TFT.

11. Cheese

Cheese Doc

I noticed a slight motion blur when I first started using my LG (which isn't the same as yours i'll admit) but stopped noticing it after a very short time...

I love my TFT :)

Rob.

12. penski

penski BodMod

I want two 17" TFTs (or even two 15") to replace this space-stealing 17" CRT.

£400 for two 15"s sound about right?

*n

13. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Yeah :) You can get a decent 15" TFT for sub 200 now...

Rob.

14. penski

penski BodMod

*Looks at Christmas*

*n

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Mut be nice to have someone help pay for everything.... I paid everything myself...

In my first year there was £2700 a year on accomodation, ~£600 on tuition fees and only a £2900 loan (Credit cards, overdrafts and hardship loans became my bestest friend ;)). My second year cost me £160 a month in rent, £500 a year in tuition fees, £80 per month in utility bills (telephone, gas, electricity), and I had a £3200 loan so it wasn't that bad, and I had a part-time job too.

I still managed to come away with a shedload of debt :(.

16. jimmy the fish

jimmy the fish What's a Dremel?

I'm a student, and i've got 2 x 17" TFT :p I live in London too :D

Get the TFT, you'll appreciate not having to lug round a huge CRT when you're moving :)

17. Duronboy

Duronboy Minimodder

For the first year i shall be spending £2028 on accomodation along with £1125(i think) on fee's. I have to live ontop of that which i think parents will give me the money for so i hope i get loan of about £3000 (havent got it through yet).

Man thats alot of money :(

18. stanleym

stanleym What's a Dremel?

I opted for staying at home through my studies, but I still found it pretty costly.

4 year course, 3 grand a year in loans, I also have a couple of storecards and three credit cards (It's no fun trying to keep track of when each 6 month 0% interest runs out). :sigh: And no job yet.

Luckily my course included a sandwich placement thing, where I was able to pay off most of what I owed from the first 3 years, and I don't think I have to start paying student loans back until I'm earning a certain amount. But still. Gah.

University is certainly not cheap if you get sucked into the social trappings of student life, I easily spend £100-150 a week on going out round here.

19. Duronboy

Duronboy Minimodder

Yea my course has a paid placement in the 3rd year which should help me out alot i hope :)