1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What to do with old hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mikkig, 12 Dec 2010.

1. mikkig

mikkig Big Giant Robot

I'm trying to get out of my hoarding ways. I always think "I'll keep that as it MIGHT be usefull one day". To this end I probably have enough computer bits lying around to build about three pentium 3 machines along with various other tat :]

So the question is what to do with it? I don't really need 5 optical drives, 18 pc100/133 dimms, 5 300w PSUs. It's all stuff that should be usefull, but all my spares are 8years old so it's not like I can do anthing useful with it. I could make an awesome desk out of it all (http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2010/07/circuit_board_table.html), but that's never going to happen as much as I might aspire to doing it one day. I still got old 286 and 386 boards in the loft somewhere!

Anyway. Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

2. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Build some systems from the parts, wipe the HDDs and reinstall XP, then donate them to a worthy cause; I donated a couple old pentium- somethings to a guy who fixed them up and gave them to a woman's refuge. You could offer them to a local school or some other organization that supplies remote foreign villages with pcs etc etc.

Or, put them in the middle of a field + large fire work > video camera = :lol:

3. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

You could knock together a few DIY NAS boxes, be a real cheapskate and give them away as xmas pressies :thumb:

4. mikkig

mikkig Big Giant Robot

All my hard drives are 10years old too. So i could make a p3 media server with a 9gig SCSI in it and some old 80gig IBM DeskStars :p

5. murraynt

murraynt Modder

See what you can make up of them as give them away maybe? I know the third world county charities would take them. Just make sure they can run XP o.k
    EDIT: As SuicideNeil said.

6. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

wall art

7. quirkalfeeg

quirkalfeeg Its a trick...get an axe.

*DELETED*

I just linked to the same image of the motherboard table...must pay more attention...ignore this waste of space...ahem.

8. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?