1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by infered101, 21 Apr 2006.

1. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

NOw before you just hit the back button becuase this is such a repeated question mine is a little different i think. I want to know what i should do about my new computer.

Right now i have a rig that nothing can be reused a Xp2500, 9600xt, 512 ram.

Here is the problem for christmas i got a 7800gt and a Asus A8N Sli premium. Well push come to shove i was going to get the rest of the parts at the end of Febuary becuase i had some money coming to me from a house we were selling. WEll it didnt sell there was a few catches where it couldnt be sold and still hasnt. NOw at the start of summer i will get the money to finish the Rig with a X2 3800 and 1 gig of ram and HD and all that stuff.

Here in lies my question. SHould i wait for conroe I know Am2 wont be worth the wait so im not going to wait for that but conroe is looking better and better everyday.

I have a few options I could do. One i could just say screw Conroe an X2 will do me for a good time. I could say screw the X2 sell the A8N and have the nice time waiting who knows how long for conroe. My final option is a could buy a cheap single core 939 Processor and ram wait for a year or so then buy a Conroe setup or whatever is good at that time.

Im at a lose for what to do so that is what im asking this great community for help for is to help me decide what would be my best bet.

2. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Well, I lean more towards the I-want-it-now school of thought, so here's what I'd do:

I'd get a fairly nice X2 (4400+ probably), and build a nice little gaming rig, and then hang on to that until it's as outdated as your current system, and then go shopping again.

3. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

i would say get a x2. and get you gfx card playing some games :p
    would say 2gig or ram aswell.

4. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Any new generation of processors or boards brings with it the risk that the first generation will have big flaws that aren't immediatly obvious and while Conroe looks very nice from a speed perspective we don't yet have much to go on regards long-term stability, the same goes for AM2.

AM2 itself is just a socket change to allow for future development, its not AMD's next generation of processors (we haven't much idea what/when those will be)

Right now the X2 processors are king of the hill, relatively cool, efficient, powerfull and with no significant flaws or faults, likewise the current (3rd?) generation sockey 939 boards are known to have excellent stability.

My final take : If you finish building the X2 based rig now, you are very unlikely to regret it, as it will be a solid, potent machine for years to come (I built mine going on two months ago and love it :D)

I would very much reccomend 2 gig of ram though, we're at a stage where it really helps, I'm not quite sure why the ram market has slowed down to glacial progress recently, but new rigs really should be using 2 gig now.