1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Computer Networking

So things like topologys, osi model, access methods etc

Last edited: 27 Nov 2017
  2. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Sorry I'll be of no help then. I've only done very basic networking.

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Just remember, they won't teach you about the biggest problem in the OSI model, Layer 8: aka, the f---ing idiots using it! :grin:

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Don't you just love it all of us who are not computer nerds are idiots?

Last edited: 28 Nov 2017
  5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

When you work in IT you will encounter not just the people who are clueless but also the people who are actively clueless: the people who not only do not understand but also refuse to even try to understand; those who do not understand yet still insist that they know more than you; or those whose knowledge is so seriously lacking yet their position gives them wide latitude to cause active harm to systems and networks you're responsible for. When things are written off as a "PEBKAC" (problem exists between keyboard and chair) issue, or an "ID-ten-T" (ID10T) problem, or a "Layer 8" (aka the "user layer") problem, those are the kind of people we're talking about.

6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Level 9, Computer/network nerds speaking to the ordinary person using a language/jargon only they can understand and then getting upset when we get things wrong.

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

We are having mains electricity work done in our street and we,the residents, all received a letter telling us of the disruption and the lack of parking whilst the work was carried out.
    The workmen duly appeared at around 8am dug a trench and disappeared at around 03:30pm. They have just reappeared at 09:30am.
    Have working practices changed so much that shifts are much shorter these days?

8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Showerthought this morning:- Buy RAM now, before it gets any worse, get mobo & CPU when "Pinnacle Ridge" drops around Easter? :oldconfused:

9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

+1 For DDR4 prices, just been asked to price up a build for someone and holy shitballs those prices are mental...

10. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Holy jesus - DDR4 prices are bonkers aren't they?! The kit I paid £225 for 6 months ago is now £325!

11. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

My Klipsch S5i just died, had them since around 2010.

12. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

just found out that the girl im half seeing has been stringing me along for the last 8 months...

And my sister and her fella both knew what was going on...and have spent this time lying to my face about it...

13. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

That's the problem with people you're half seeing, ya never know what the other half is doing.

14. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Adobe ****ing Flash, and the fact some sites in 2017 still require the damn thing.

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

It's because the chip manufacturers (Samsung, SK Hynix & Micron) have all turned the majority of their attention to server & smartphone memory.
    This creates artificial scarcity, like when the Saudi's cut oil production to push prices up.

The question now is, silly money for slowish RAM, or stupid money for faster?

16. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Bone marrow biopsy today. Eosinophils are high for Cat knows why, sicker than proverbial dog.

17. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I’m a network engineer with 17 years experience. Ping it my way if you like. If you send it as a Word doc I can add comments.

18. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Time to vent about the NHS.......
    I'm getting very pissed off at our local hospital and how they handle patients... my mum has been stuck in the hospital waiting for an Angiogram since Friday morning, she was in for a routine appointment but a nurse ended up admitting her because of a scan's result, a scan which they can no longer find! The staff at the hospital are just making her feel worse with each interaction.
    She was feeling absolutely fine before they decided to admit her on Friday... hospital staff are meant to make you better, not worse. :wallbash:

It probably wouldn't be as bad if they admitted right from the beginning that they had no clue when they could do the procedure, but the complete lies that they gave saying she'd be done by Tuesday and then not even having her on the list is infuriating... the top it off, yesterday they moved her to another ward similar to the one where her mum died back in May so now she's feeling absolutely horrible.

19. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Woke up with my hip out of place and leg trapped down the side of my bed, took me two hours to get it out so I could reach my phone to call for help. Now sat up A&E in lots of pain.

20. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

The hell, man? How far out of place did it end up?! I lose the remote control or phone down the side of the bed sometimes, but a whole leg??

goldstar0011 likes this.