1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Surely there is some kind of hydrophobic spray (probably for car windshields) that can be used to coat the lens.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

They're designed for glass, usually, and I'm not sure what they'd do to the plastic lens.

3. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

There are version for polymer lenses, M-Cycle visors etc., however they generally require some speed / motion to disperse the water, I don't see them working well on a static article unless you plumb in a compressor to give it a blow every so often

Byron C, IanW, Spraduke and 1 other person like this.
  4. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

A broken leg is a bit different. The point I’m asking is, if you’re still able to go about your life, and you have been doing, what does having something down on your medical file change your life, in any way?

5. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Because at no point did the Bearded One say he was still able to get about with his life. He may be struggling in similar, or very different, ways a person with a broken leg would struggle, but without the knowledge that it will heal over time. A diagnosis, as has been said above, has genuinely positive effects on outlook and mental health. It also then potentially gives avenues for help if that's what is desired or needed.

Last edited: 5 Oct 2022
    Goatee likes this.
  6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

So many people have no idea of what it is like to live with mental health issues, whatever those issues may be.

keef247 and Pete J like this.
  7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Ah, bugger - the water's *in* the camera, not just *on* it. Will have to arrange a replacement. I've another on the back door, I'll swap that in while I'm waiting.

8. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Also the thing that's sad is that there are also people that don't realize that what they are experiencing day to day is an issue.

keef247, Byron C, Pete J and 3 others like this.
  9. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I mean, how can you tell? It's such a vague unquantifiable thing, you hear about people with mental health issues doubting themselves so often.

As a larger view, I can see both sides of the argument, I guess the largest component is if you think there is available treatment and support for those that get a diagnosis.

10. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

So not only are you doing the mods above but you're also watercooling it. I look forward to the build log.

Byron C, IanW, lancer778544 and 2 others like this.
  11. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

If like me you spend 99% of your woken day beating yourself up whilst dragging yourself over the coals for life choices made throughout your life whilst generally feeling hateful toward yourself it can be a huge step forward into understanding who you are.

And, maybe even hate yourself a bit less knowing that you did the best you could do both with yourself and those seemingly bad decisions.

For me it was like spending 34 years completely lost before finding myself. And, others just like me.

I suppose another way to explain it would be to say that imagine you were a black kid. And you were sat with 99 white kids, and had no idea who you were and where you came from. Then all of a sudden one day someone tells you that you're say, African and then explains your history and culture to you. Which then allows you to finally know who you are, and maybe why you think the way that you do and why you do the things that you do.

keef247 and Byron C like this.
  12. Mr_Mistoffelees

Absolutely, I had that problem for a very long time.

13. Gareth Halfacree

Having some trouble getting any help with the warranty out of Blink, and Amazon (which chuffin' owns Blink) won't return it direct.

So I bought a replacement. They're on offer, and I can always use a third on the outbuilding when it's built.

Arrived today, took it to the new house, set it up...

Screenshot from G8T1-TV02-2215-0182_2022-10-06T18_10_38+0100.jpg

Blurred to hell. No obvious damage, lens is clean, and yes I remembered to take the protective shipping plastic off. So, that one is going back to Amazon and I've another on order...

Kinda regret buying into the Blink ecosystem now, not gonna lie.

14. sandys

sandys Multimodder

does look a little low quality, is network good?

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I find that the spray I use is pretty useless below about 30-ish mph.

If you're going to ask questions like "Why does getting assessed matter so much? It’s not going to change anything" then you need to read what I actually post in reply, my dude.

This. 100% this.

This is why it's been so eye-opening having spoken to other people who have been diagnosed with ASD and ADHD. One of the guys I work with had a diagnosis of ADHD late last year and since then we've talked quite openly about it a number of times. Sometimes it's been genuinely upsetting hearing people talk about having the exact same difficulties I've had my entire life.

I don't get NHS "Right to Choose" in Wales, waiting times on the NHS are sky-high, and my health insurance doesn't cover ASD or ADHD diagnosis; if I have to pay privately then I will. I don't care what the actual diagnosis is, I can't ignore this any more.

Arboreal, adidan and Vault-Tec like this.
  16. Gareth Halfacree

500Mbps synchronous. Full signal. It does it on still photos, too - it's not an encoding problem, it's literally the camera. My one remaining not-broken doorbell cam is crystal-clear in the same place.

Hell, even the original broken one is better now the water inside has dried up...

17. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I'm trying to not be flippant here, but what if it comes back as neurotypical and your problems are your own to solve? Having not been given a diagnosis do you just go back to struggling your way through life and unwillingly selling yourself short, or do you grab hold of all the coping strategies, techniques and training you can get, knowing that you're ostensibly in the same boat?

I can see both sides of this on TBH, I think it's not so much apathy as hopelessness in some ways?

For the record, I don't think I'd blow positive on an ASD assessment, but I'm a guy posting on a techy forum so I imagine I'd get the needle off zero.

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Either way my problems are still my own to solve. But that doesn't mean that I shouldn't ask for help, regardless of any underlying neurology. Clearly I'm not managing very well on my own.

In fact not having ASD/ADHD would ironically make it easier to access private care, because my health insurance would pick up the cost instead of me.

19. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Ha!

I can imagine an diagnosis could be a double edged sword, with certain behaviours towards you improving and others degrading. It's just a shame that you're having to fight even for an assessment :sigh:

20. Mr_Mistoffelees

The problem with getting assessments is simple, inadequate NHS funding by the Tories and, the Tories giving mental health a very low priority.

The Tories prioritise the big headline health issues, cancer, heart disease and waiting lists for surgery but, mental health? Who cares?

Vault-Tec likes this.