1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

That explains a few things I've been seeing. I'll have a furtle with my XT8s when I get home.

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  2. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

4 weeks to go until my house needs to be sorted as the mortgage expires.
    Why in this thread you ask?
    I can't see this being done in time.

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

theres something going around the nick and its my time to catch it, stomping headcold, swollen throat and left eaqr has filled with fluid.

****ing just getting over covid as well god damnit

4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Recent experimentation suggests brandy is the answer.

Pete J and adidan like this.
  5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

dont drink, my head however feels like its about to do a scanners.

6. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

So I don't need to channel my inner St Bernard and bring some spiced rum round? You may want to try it nevertheless
    /forscienceright

adidan likes this.
  7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

We appreciate your sacrifice for science.

Byron C, Pete J, Isitari and 3 others like this.
  8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Set up a new gaming PC for the lounge: clean Win11, automatic password-free login, minimal startup applications, steam big picture on login - done. Minimal keyboard requirements, brilliant.

Then my other half says "What about Xbox gamepass? Can I use that?". Balls - it auto-signs in with my Microsoft account, which means Xbox will sign in with my account, and swapping between Microsoft accounts in the Xbox app is going to be a ballache without constantly needing a keyboard.

OK, new idea - add the other half's account to the PC and use a FLIRC dongle & IR remote to select user accounts on the login screen. PC is already set up to log in without passwords, so should be all good right? Wrong. It seems that password-free automatic login works fine when there's only one account, but you must use a PIN or password login when there's more than one account.

Also, the IR remote I'm using is an old Apple remote. We have an Apple TV, and the Apple TV has an IR receiver. Even though I've programmed the FLIRC dongle to recognise my remote codes, the Apple TV still understands those codes. So the remote now controls both my PC and the Apple TV simultaneously.

Ooo! I know! What about that old XP Media Centre remote that's kicking around in a drawer somewhere? That's got a numpad, power button, and a bunch of other stuff - that'll be perfect! Yes, yes it would be perfect... if I hadn't thrown the f'ing thing away.

FFS... :wallbash:

I don't want to go 100% Linux on this machine because I want to be able to run other game stores/launchers like GOG Galaxy, I want to have 100% compatibility in Steam, and I want to be able to run Oculus VR (because I have an Oculus headset). Realistically, I need Windows. But god damn are Microsoft making this difficult...

For now I've just accepted that we'll need a keyboard to log in.

Maybe I can find an old XP Media Centre remote floating around on ebay somewhere...

EDIT: OK, I can find a shedload of of Media Centre Edition remotes on ebay... That might work...

Last edited: 31 Jan 2023
  9. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Just a note for GOG Galaxy. You can run Heroic launcher in Linux and use it to launch your Epic and GoG games (not sure about other launchers).

Note - Not sure about games that require any form of additional DRM software mind.

Sadly doesn't help with your other points.

IanW likes this.
  10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I think GOG has quite literally zero DRM. That should help.

xaser04 likes this.
  11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Just a silly thing, really: my bank has credit score monitoring, and apparently my score has gone down 15 points. Why? Well...

Okay, fair eno...

So... my score has gone down because I'm using too little of my credit and also because I'm using more of my credit than before. How exactly do I fix one without making the other worse?

(None of it matters, even fifteen points down my score is excellent - just railing against the total lack of logic involved.)

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

The algorithm is always right! :rolleyes:

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  13. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Does anything to do with banking, or indeed anything at all to do with finance and the financial markets, ever make any sense?

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Credit score logic:
    • Don't have credit = credit score goes down.
    • Have credit but don't use it = credit score goes down.
    • Have credit and pay it off = credit score goes down.
    • Have too much credit = credit score goes down.
    • Have credit and use it but get close to your limit = credit score goes down.
    • Have credit, use it, regularly pay off a big chunk of it (but not all of it), continue to use it, don't go near your limits = credit score miiiiiight go up, if you're lucky, and if the scriers' rituals are unable to divine any ill omens, and if a south-south easterly wind has been blowing at precisely 28 knots for at least three hours a day for 4 out of the last 7 consecutive days... maybe...

Basically to get a great credit score you have to be: not poor, good at budgeting, and not be susceptible to easy lending in any way at all (which is very difficult when you're neurodivergent).

perplekks45 and IanW like this.
  15. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Spend, Spend, Spend, it is the way :D

16. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Virgin want to up my credit limit on their CC, thanks for reminding me to tell them to take a hike.

IanW and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  17. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I think the key is to not really care about your credit score, considering there are multiple agencies that do it, and then any lender will have their own version when it comes to mortgages etc anyway :D

perplekks45, IanW and Byron C like this.
  18. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I haven't used any kind of credit or loan, for more than 15 years and, have had no credit card for much longer. My credit score, with Experian, is better than ever, 969 from 999. How the hell does that work? Does mean I never have problems getting new contracts for utilities, telephony and BB.

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I swear to god, I'm going to hurt someone/something if I have to keep watching this little dialogue box pop up in Tableau every time I so much as fart near it.

[​IMG]

I guess this is my own fault for having a data storage/processing system that's seriously overkill for an undergraduate assignment.

MLyons likes this.
  20. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Elapsed time 8 seconds? Fibrous meal was it?

IanW and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.