Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Every other 100% LTV offering I've found requires some kind of security, often equivalent to at least 5% of the deposit. If we had any family or close friends who could put up that kind of savings or investments then we wouldn't be in this position. Or they require a guarantor for the mortgage who would have to meet the same stringent eligibility criteria and financial assessments as the primary applicants. Again, if we had any family or close friends who would meet such criteria then we wouldn't be in this position. Or assuming a broker could actually find a 100% LTV product which required absolutely zero up-front security/deposit of any kind, and does not require a guarantor, the interest rates are likely to be even worse than what we're already likely to see.

I've done a fair bit of research about this over the last couple of years, and I've spoken to financial advisers (both independent and not) multiple times. Any broker I pay is likely to come to the conclusion that I've already reached: the age of "free money" with mortgages is over, it isn't coming back any time soon (if ever), and any 100% LTV product you find will likely have significant limitations.

2. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

Interest only mortgage not an option?

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Not if I want to build any equity. Which is exactly why we’re prepared to put up with a relatively small mortgage offer and buying a flat in the short term. Over a 5-year period a combination of property price increases, paying off loan & interest, and saving an amount equivalent to the mortgage payment every month will put us in a position to be able to afford the kind of property we actually want. Even if prices tank or we don’t earn much equity, the savings should put us in a good position (assuming we keep it up at the planned level).

IanW and DeanSUNIAIU like this.
  4. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

A friend of my ex’s had an interest only mortgage, and she lucked out when it came to selling that it actually sold and left her some equity. But, risky!

Wish you all the best!

Byron C likes this.
  5. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

Managed to pick up a nice nail to the tyre last night. Rang around a few local garages and nobody has that size in stock, most said they could order but it would be tuesday/ wednesday before they could be fitted.
    Found one now, they can have it this afternoon.

6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

As it’s a nice nail, you should keep it, polish it up.

IanW likes this.
  7. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Maybe even keep it in the tyre, so you know where it is?

Mr_Mistoffelees and IanW like this.
  8. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

If it's just a nail, no matter how nice it is, and if the tyre is in decent shape just get it repaired rather than replaced

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Now officially out of a job, claim of grievance also denied, so they want to do this the hard way. Oh joy.

Goatee, Isitari, adidan and 2 others like this.
  10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Sorry to hear that bud. It's a tough time at the moment. Half of my team was laid off in August, and the rest of us will very likely be going in the next few months as the company is not financially viable.

The_Crapman likes this.
  11. The_Crapman

Yeh they'd had to cut a whole arm off the business after failing to land a few contracts. Looked like they were about to separate the robotics and systems companies completely, after combining them in the not too distant past. What part I would have had in that is questionable. But they've dug themselves a very big whole with glaring oversights and omissions from their conclusion, so hopefully going to give them a jolly good rogering over it.

LennyRhys likes this.
  12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

@The_Crapman Andy mate, enter the euro millions - you're due a bit of luck to counteract all the crap been thrown your way

LennyRhys likes this.
  13. The_Crapman

The way things have been going, I'd probably fall foul of a glitched t's &c's that meant I had to pay them :hehe::lol:

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Went shopping today.

I wanted to go to a Hobbycraft, because sometimes it’s better to be able to see stuff rather than blindly ordering online, which means we had to go to a larger retail park across the other side of town. That retail park is right next-door to the Cardiff City stadium and there’s a match on today, Cardiff at home… to Millwall (context: there is a long history of rivalry, and quite a fair amount of violence, between Cardiff & Millwall fans).

All of which means this particular retail park was busy. Very busy. Very very very busy.

And then we had to schlep across town to a Sainsburys in order to pick up some stuff from Argos and do some shopping.

I have had enough of people for one weekend. I am not even opening my door to anyone who happens to ring the doorbell. Full goblin mode for the rest of the weekend. Darkened rooms, warm comfy clothes, junk food, video games, TV…

Vault-Tec, Hex, The_Crapman and 2 others like this.
  15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Goblin weekends are best weekends.

Byron C and adidan like this.
  16. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Giggity

Byron C likes this.
  17. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Was woken about 45 minutes ago by one of the kids, checked my phone: on mobile data. Wi-Fi still connected, but no WAN.

Come down, figured maybe the router needs a kick: nope, ONT's flashing a warning light at me. Power cycle, no change. Provider's status page is, naturally, updated manually, so provides zero useful information out of hours.

Emailed support, but I dunno if they even have anyone looking outside standard office hours... and pretty soon I'm supposed to be starting a busy week of work.

Fingers crossed for a quick fix!

18. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

Laptop died, just went out on a BSOD. I was planning on upgrading, but after the splurge of Christmas.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's been coming back and disappearing all morning. Provider status page still says nothing, no reply to any of my emails - so I rang. Told 'em the ONT status lights showed a problem at their end. Ten minutes on hold for a line test later, "the line test shows a problem at our end." No doy.

An engineer will visit... sometime.

In the meantime, I've discovered that USB tethering to my Android phone Just Works in Ubuntu, so at least the desktop's back up and running.

20. sandys

sandys Multimodder

If you have USB to ethernet dongle you can share your mobile internet throughout the house by plugging your phone into the wan port of your router, that is what I used to do with my phone before I got a 5G backup router when fixed line internet went down.

For my Samsung at least that USB Dongle has to be a 1Gb, that will give 1Gb 5G to the network approx 940Mb, I tried a realtek 2.5Gb dongle to get that extra 1.1Gb from my 5G (good signal in my area) and I couldn't deliver more than 250Mb on the Realtek, so guess compatibility or driver issue.

Last edited: 11 Dec 2023
    Arboreal, IanW and Gareth Halfacree like this.