1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

This probably isn't the fault of any one single person. Knowing our lot there would be endless ****ing committees and panels making these decisions.

2. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

We had similar a couple of years ago.

Very very poorly executed though.

A offline sync of everyones my docs folder was sync'd to every computer...

It killed all the machines and killed the network with all the traffic, it was a nightmare.

3. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Sounds like ours, also factor in the roaming profile data fails to sync half the time but doesn't tell you this then some bright spark clears the local data effectively wiping their data for the last six months.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I store all my work stuff locally, but sync them to the server (and the laptop) using Syncthing. According to the stats page, I'm currently using 81.3MB of RAM to keep 413GB in sync, and 'cos everything's local it has zero impact on file load or save performance.

I've also got Hubic synchronising a subset of stuff to the cloud (mostly for easy sharing of big archives, 'cos I've written a Nautilus plugin that lets me right-click and publish any file and it'll drop an OVH shortcut on the clipboard for me), which is using another 78MB or so. Again, no real impact on performance (though occasionally it'll go non-linear and restore a bunch of files I've just deleted, which is annoying. Mostly happens if I drop a file in the directory then immediately rename it, and I just have to let it sync a copy of the file under the original name then wait a few minutes before deleting it.)

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

You're OK though because your IT admin is you :thumb:. You don't have to put up with the bureaucracy that comes from a company with a ~100k headcount :).

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I did once work as a technician for York NHS Trust, which had a pretty hefty headcount, but I wasn't C-suite level so just did whatever I was told (which, at the time, involved taking out perfectly good Wyse dumb terminals that were talking to the ICL mainframe and replacing them with crappy desktops running Windows 95 (98? I forget, it's been a while) that used HyperTerminal to talk to the very same ICL mainframe...)

7. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

PSU fan has died, punching a nice neat hole in my finances to replace it, bugger.

It's still working, it just overheats and shuts down after around 20 minutes of intensive gaming.

8. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

^^

spare 120mm fan + ziptie

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

^^ Ghetto rules. :thumb:

10. Gareth Halfacree

Either the switch, or the motor, or the wiring in either or both directions has gone in the car, so the boot doesn't open any more. Remember the days when you opened your boot by putting a physical key in a mechanical lock and turning it? I miss those days.

11. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I also remembervwhen you could pull a small lever inside the car to open said boot. Sometimes I feel that manufacturers try to give us stuff that is really not necessary and call it progress.

I worked as a car valet and had a BMW to clean but for some reason itcwent into lockdiwn mode where it actually settled down on its suspension and would not respond to the key. We had to get a code from BMW in Germany to access the car. Another time I was locked inside a Jaguar as the battery went flat and the door locks would not operate.
    Just two stories of where car technology has catastrophically failed because of a simple fault like a flat battery.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Yeah, this has that, hidden behind a small rubber plug. I say 'lever,' but it's not quite so posh: it's a bent bit of wire physically connected to the lock. Pull the wire, lift the lock.

Opened it with that and slammed it shut a few times, and it's behaving again. Best case, the solenoid was sticking and a bit of a whack has cleared it; worst case, there's a marginal wire in the loom and I've just bought a bit of time. Either way, at least it's working now!

13. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

My current computer setup is on its last legs and i'm worried if i restart it it won't boot back up.

*sigh*

It's been 19 days since i last rebooted and it looks like it's due a reboot. Looks like I might be building a new system soon.

For some people building a new system is fantastic. However i have all the software and all of the shortcuts in place now and starting from scratch is going to be a pain in the ass.

Last edited: 10 Mar 2017
  14. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

46 waist. Holy crap how did it come to this lol.

I was a 30 7 years ago. Seems I've been collecting ever since.

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Ate too much/didn't move enough... that's how it comes to most people...

For me, looks like i'm going to be shafted by two different clients inside a week...

...both have decided to go down the 'we've decided we can do the thing without you, after all how hard can it be?' route.

Add that to a screaming headache that won't go away and not sleeping properly.

16. Yorkie

Yorkie Minimodder

Well, my dog had a meeting with a car that has reduced his leg count and my finances. I am really happy he is back at home though.

http://i.imgur.com/w7zzvcI.jpg

17. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

poor lil giy - hope he copes alright with it.

My cats torn a ligament and can't use her back leg, it's bleedin' heartbreaking seeing 'em struggle.

18. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Awww. What a lovely little dog.

19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Ah bless. I had a three legged cat though you would not believe it as it did not slow her down in the slightest. In fact I had a mate who lost a leg in a road accident and he felt that my cat showed him in the way it handled the loss of a limb.
    :D:D:D:D

20. MeMo

MeMo It is what it is

Awwww poor baby, I am so happy he is home where he belongs.:clap: