1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's Your Backup Regime?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gareth Halfacree, 6 Nov 2019.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Just out of curiosity, mostly.

Me, I have a belt-'n'-braces-'n'-string approach: All my important files are live-synchronised with version control between desktop and server, my work files between desktop and server and laptop, and everything also goes to an off-site server - all using Syncthing. They're also stored on a Btrfs mirror on the server, which is scrubbed monthly to check for silent corruption.

If Syncthing screws up, the server has a 6TB drive in it which holds four-hourly backups of everything for the last 24 hours, daily backups for the last week, weekly backups for the last month, and monthly backups for the last 12 months - using hardlinks to save space, which I'll admit does mean that if a file that hasn't changed in the last 12 months gets corrupted on the backup drive then it's gone for good - one of these days I'll add a second 6TB as a mirror, like on the live drives. It's also installed in a quick-release caddy in the server's sole 5.25" bay, so I could grab it if I needed to exit the house in a hurry.

*Finally*, there's a 2TB drive I shove in a quick-release caddy in the desktop and manually rsync whenever I remember. That's the backup's backup, basically - and is offline the rest of the time, protected against anything that might eat the online stuff.

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I have a Veeam agent on all machines capable of having one with backup schedules that reflect how often they're on the home network.

I have super-important-to-me files in Onedrive, but I don't use Onedrive as a backup solution directly - Although I have recovered stuff using it.

Plan is to change the solo Veeam agents for a B&R setup when I get around to it so I have a more centralised backup management.

Generally they're full machine backups, but the desktop doesn't backup anything that can be replaced. Like game installs, for example, because that's a waste of time IMO.

Backup destination for me is a two bay Synology.

I don't have a backup system in place for much beyond a week to two weeks, though, because if I don't notice something is missing in that window then I clearly didn't need it that much.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

'Pray **** doesn't break' is my current strategy.

Last edited: 6 Nov 2019
  4. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

For home, all of my important files are backed up to my home server with 1x 3TB Parity and 4x 2TB data drives, running Unraid, using the program Bvckup2.

Some stuff is on the fly - some stuff is scheduled daily/weekly/monthly depending on usage.

Every month I put a 3TB removable drive in and backup my most important files to this "offline" backup drive, also using Bvckup2.

I'm not 100% happy with all of my stuff being in a cloud somewhere - so have yet to make any online backup space at all. I'm aware this leaves me open to a physical property issue - but until I have full trust in a cloud based service I just can't do it.

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Four bay NAS - RAID1 array backed up to 10TB drive in bay 3. Bay4 houses a hot spare.

Backed up to USB 3.0 MyBook

All really important stuff is further backed up to a smaller encrypted HDD locked in the car.

Nothing in the cloud - don't trust it enough yet.

Last edited: 6 Nov 2019
  6. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

1. Everything in PC is RAID1 (not backup, but saves me the hassle of recovering then storage device inevitably dies).
    2. All critical data is backed up daily to onsite NAS (using backup4all, because thats one of a few packages I found that uses shadowcopy during backup), some stuff synced with VPS (svn/git/nextcloud/mail), VPS provider offers daily/weekly backups
    3. NAS is 2x RAIDZ1 pools, some critical stuff mirrored between them, snapshots every 5 mins that are kept for a day, snapshots every hour that are kept for 2 weeks, monthly snapshots without automatic deletion for archival stuff (photos, etc). Weakly scrubs/long smart, daily short smart. One hot spare.
    4. Offsite VDS backed up into NAS and storage VPS.
    5. Critical NAS data (i.e stuff that is not films, music, etc) with all snapshots is backed up into offsite ZFS NAS.
    6. Manual copy of photos and some other archival stuff to storage VPS, all files checksumed.

* Phone stuff is synced with VDS server (no google services).
    * Stuff in laptop is either version controlled or in cloud sync.

Also thinking about adding off-continent backup.

Yaka likes this.
  7. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Rsync from one of my servers to another in a circle. A 3TB HDD hooked up to my Vero 4K for not important stuff I wouldn't be too bothered about losing. Google Drive for important stuff. Everything else isn't worth saving.

Edit: tar stream using pigz instead of rsync

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

On-site:
    2 bay Synology NAS with 4TB disks holds all the data. My point of entry to all my data, 24/7.
    4 bay HP Microserver with older 2TB disks receives duplicate backed up of the Synology NAS twice a week. Off rest of the time.

Off-site:
    Amazon Glacier backup of password zip'd all important stuff every month.
    A 4TB disk for important stuff. But only gets sync'd a few (2-3?) times a year if I can remember to ask my parents to bring it over when visiting.

(My important data doesn't change much throughout the years)

I'm now at the point of filling my 8TB NAS, problem I have is that a large portion of it is camera RAW files, which doesn't need to be 24/7 accessible. In fact, only a small percentage of 8TB is needed in the 24/7 NAS. So I'm currently thinking about dividing my data and how to cheaply + permanently (in my lifetime) store those RAW files for long term. Might start a thread about this..........

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Wouldn't pigz in stream mode only use one core? In which case, why not just gzip?

10. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

It still uses more than one core

Yaka likes this.
  11. Gareth Halfacree

Neat - I thought it could only do that when working on a file (by splitting the file up into pieces.)

EDIT:
    You're not wrong - just tried it. Today I learnded!

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

A what-up regime. :D

I've not got much in the way of important files so other than backing up stuff that changes on a regular basis (web browser profile, bank account spreadsheets) to an internal HDD, i also (when i remember) copy stuff to a tiny USB drive on my key-ring.

As i never leave the house without my keys if the place ever burnt to the ground I'd either burn with it or have my keys and the data that's attached to them.

13. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Current:
    Server running windows 10 with Storage Spaces across paired drives (2x 4TB pairs, 1x 3TB pair) for movies, TV series, and documents/music/photos for redundancy.

Personal docs, music and photos live-synced to Google Cloud (i.e. stored in the Google Drive folder)
    Business docs live-synced to OneDrive (see my recent thread!)

C Drives (2x PCs and Server) backed-up weekly to server (full backups) 2TB drive kept in hot-swap bay.
    Personal docs, music and photos backed-up weekly (full every month) to same 2TB drive.
    Business docs backed-up daily (Full every week, then difference) to same 2TB.

Personal docs, music and photos also backed up to external 1TB HDD on (ideally) a monthly basis.

Future:
    Business are paying for extra storage; so will add:
    A Storage Space for the backups, probably at a bigger size
    Replace aging external drive

Also need to look at extending the capacity for film and TV storage spaces

14. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I wrote this not long ago: https://github.com/yuusou/quick-backup
    Not using it though, it made the local storage I was testing it on choke. I did run it on raid 1 + zfs dedup though, so the storage was hell slow.

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  15. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Steam for all my game files (nothing important)
    Family pictures, ripped dvds and music are live synced between my pc, the family pc and a WD NAS (Raid 1). Once in a blue moon I plug an external HDD into the NAS as an offline backup (but still in teh house).

The only thing of importance is 'some' of the pictures (kids etc) so I keep meaning to make a subset to back up to google drive or one drive free accounts as offsite backup.

If I did work stuff on my computer I would probably make use of a paid cloud backup just as its so much simpler than backing up yourself.

16. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

PCs backup to home server.

Server syncs backups with Cloud.

Backup Server to external drive kept somewhere safe once a week.

17. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Mine is embarrassingly bad mainly because my media 'backups' weren't planned or costed properly.

My files are split into 2 parts, my media files and my data files. Data files are backed up by a combination of Google Drive and multiple hard drives in 2 systems, with a hard drive stored in the garage and updated monthly.

For a long while I kept every DVD I'd bought over 20 years until the piles of them started taking up too much space so I decided to extract the VOB files convert them to mp4 and give the DVDs to charity. Just in case I would need to convert to a different format I copied the VOBs to 3TB drives which at the time were the most cost effective size and I only needed 4 plus 2 for future storage little expecting that future storage would expand massively.

I currently have around 20TB of VOB files stored on 7 x 3TB individual drives with exact copies on another drive i.e. 2 drives store a single instance of each set of VOB files. They're not really backed up because of the house went up in flames so would the storage they're just duplicated in case of drive failure. Currently this means I have 14 3TB hard drives which are updated by means of an external USB dual caddy. Roughly every year I check each hard drive and take a new copy of the stored files to 'refresh' the data.

18. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I backup our photos into external drive when I can be bothered (several times a year). Everything else could be lost and I wouldn't care a jot :grin:

19. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Mine is an ultra-paranoid approach (and possibly a little OTT but there we go). It goes a little something like this:

Main File Server: All drives are part of some form of RAID or another (I know RAID isn't backup). From there all documents and non-RAW photos are synced with Google Drive in real-time. Anything else would take up too much space and I'm not upgrading to the £80/month version.

Backup Server: All RAW photos are backed up automatically to another mini server within the house (although in a different room in case of leaks etc). Also this server holds images of my PCs / laptops, backups of family members' PCs / laptops etc, Gamesave backups and probably some other backups I'm forgetting - nearly everything that doesn't go to Google Drive. Just no videos (DVD / Bluray rips etc) or music (CD rips).

Off-Site: Once a month I bring home a storage box full of HDDs (which is locked and then itself locked in a cupboard at work). Everything from the file server is then backed up to one of the various HDDs in that box.

Sounds time consuming I know but actually using a combination of Bvckup2 and Google's Backup and Sync software it runs itself 99% of the time and only really requires me to spend 20 minutes once a month popping drives in and out of external caddies. This way every file I have is backed up to at least 2 places, 3 in some cases (places not hard drives).

I've done this because both myself and my wife have work related documents on our file server which would be a PITA to reproduce if that went pop. I still have the DVDs/Blurays/CDs in my loft that have been ripped to my server but, due to the huge number of them, that would be a massively time consuming process to do again should something go wrong. As for photos, they include wedding photos, photos of my children growing up, holiday photos - loads of stuff that would be heart-wrenching to lose.

Like I said, almost certainly OTT but a lot of this has been put together from spare parts and old PCs and so hasn't cost as much as it would have done brand new.

20. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Main NAS is dual parity RAID
    Secondary NAS is JBOD

Platinum - Continuous replia to another physical device (either from a host to NAS1, or from NAS1 to NAS2) + nightly local snap + nightly cloud backup
    Gold - Nightly snap + backup to another physical device
    Silver - Weekly snap + backup to another physical device
    Bronze - Nightly Archive pass to another physical device, two version max, but with alerts on file changes

Other - work stuff synced to O365, which is backed up itself (with something third party. Hands up who thinks that MS backs up your O365 data... they don't)