1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's your fave phone network?

Discussion in 'General' started by javaman, 1 Mar 2010.

1. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Hey guys. I'm looking to get a new (smart)phone this month but it looks like Ill have to move away from O2. I don't know much about other networks so what's your views/experiences with them?

First what network are you with?
    What makes them awesome?
    What do you not like about them?
    What network would you be with if yours went bust?

First what network are you with? O2
    What makes them awesome? They have great coverage and a lot of my family are O2 so free calls is handy on occasions (I can still get O2UK halfway across Donegal in Ireland lol)
    What do you not like about them? O2 surprises are useless and a lot don't apply to Northern Ireland, customer services don't understand basic English and several times they've had their systems go down for weeks at a time.
    What network would you be with if yours went bust? Possibly Orange or T-mobile since they've the cheapest contracts.

Last edited by a moderator: 1 Mar 2010
  2. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

First what network are you with? T-Mobile

What makes them awesome? I've been with them since 1996 on the same tariff (it still says one2one on the bill), so it's pretty cheap. Also they have great coverage everywhere I need to be.

What do you not like about them? They take ages to get decent handsets. Very limited choice.

What network would you be with if yours went bust? Maybe Orange just because the coverage is good in my house (soon to be a non-issue with the merger). Although any of them apart from the evil that is Vodafone would do. I really, really hate Vodafone...

3. javaman

How come you really hate vodafone Hex? Oh and thanks for editing the original post, my spelling really suck >.>

4. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

My work phone was with them. Never, ever again would I go near them. They charged insane prices for everything, especially voicemail. It hardly ever had a decent signal. The customer service department were a bunch of monkeys. I just hated everything about my miserable time with them. They disconnected me twice as well and forced me to have a new number once which wasn't very useful for work :grr:

5. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

First what network are you with? T-Mobile, been with them about 10 years (previous was Orange)

What makes them awesome? Quite good signal, reasonable prices and cheap mobile data. Times i've phoned up, i've talked with staff who were actually quite decent too.

What do you not like about them? Must say i really haven't had any noticeable issue for years.

Originally left Orange due to ludicrously expensive data + handset prices at the time
    (plus they tried to charge me a lot more to *stay* with them than it'd cost a new customer to join them)

What network would you be with if yours went bust? My friends all recommend O2 at the moment. I haven't used them since they were BT Cellnet branded though :lol:

Is it wrong i'd never buy a Vodafone phone because the 'f' in the name irritates me too much?
    (it's a phone, not a fone! raaaaage :D )

Last edited: 1 Mar 2010
  6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

What makes them awesome? Not a fat lot. Their 3G coverage is pretty mediocre, in my experience, but I've never had a problem getting signal, paying bills, switching tariffs etc.
    What do you not like about them? I started my contract with them for an iPhone. Tarnished my initial feelings.
    What network would you be with if yours went bust? Um. Orange probably.

7. minimad127

minimad127 CPC Refugee

First what network are you with? Orange

What makes them awesome? no major problems with signal i have noticed, some good offers if you look around and usualy give good amount of min's on the tarrifs whereas all other networks seem to be mostly text based tarrifs (also get corperate discount because i work for the NHS)

What do you not like about them? no major issues, couple of screw ups with previous tarrif and a buy back promotion on a old phone, but got it sorted in the end + compensation hence why i am still with them

What network would you be with if yours went bust? probably shock most people but more than likely 3, as i was with them for 5-6 years before i moved to orange and never had a problem with them (so long as i didnt have to phone customer services but i only had to call them once a contract to cancel), wife is with them and have never been anywhere that i could get signal and she couldnt

8. fev

fev Industry Fallout

First what network are you with? Orange
    What makes them awesome? Customer Service, Signal & my dirt cheap contract
    What do you not like about them? The fact "Orange" is printed on the front of my pretty phone
    What network would you be with if yours went bust? Still Orange, they're not going anywhere

Currently paying £25 p/month for 800 Minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited internet, insurance on an 18 month contract for a Bold 2

9. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

What makes them awesome? Pretty decent 2g coverage
    What do you not like about them? Crap 3g. Nearly bugger all coverage in South Lincolnshire
    What network would you be with if yours went bust? Orange.

10. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

First what network are you with? O2 PAYG

What makes them awesome? I have a £15 top up deal thats gives me unlimited texts and web, but on a PAYG SIM, so not contracted, oh and AFAIK they are the only operator with signal at my house, and they have HSPA signal in town :thumb:

What do you not like about them? Can't actually think of any faults TBH. Maybe that I don't buy nice phones from them, I buy sim-free, because they have FA PAYG phone choice (I have a Motorola Milestone.. it will likely never be available as part of any PAYG deal, anywhere).

What network would you be with if yours went bust? Vodafone, because I know for a fact that Orange, TMobile, 3, and the others that share towers with those three don't have signal at my house, but I don't know anyone on Vodafone to check out their signal strength, but I think they have their own/shared with O2 signal towers (thus, signal at my house).

11. javaman

seems every network has good coverage lol. Really depends on the area for whos best. The 1month contracts where great with O2 pay n go. Keep em comming :)

12. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

o2 (iPhone Business Contract)

What makes them awesome?

They have some of the best customer service I have ever experienced. I've never been let down by them in more than 10 years as a customer and have never been with another provider. I don't doubt the customer service of other network providers, I'm only saying that o2 have always been great for me. I have two broadband accounts with o2 as well, and the QoS that I receive at both addresses is first class. I also love that o2 got the iPhone in the UK first, and that they gave me such a good deal on my first one back in 2007 and all the rest that I've had since.

The only bad thing I have to say about them is the 3G coverage. I get very poor network coverage in my uni house, and no 3G coverage at either my home address or my uni house. The poor network coverage is all to do with the location of the handset, but I would like to see them increase the area of NI that is covered by 3G in the next couple of years.

Either Orange or Vodafone, because I'd find it impossible to go back to using another handset after using an iPhone for more than 2 years.

13. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Baring North Wales, Scotland and Cornwall*, reception in the UK in general is pretty good. I'd say you only need to worry about coverage for specific networks in remote/hilly areas in general for the most part now.

*Family goes on holiday across the UK a lot :D
    I'm used to trying to eke out a most basic of 1bar GPRS signals for a rudimentary laptop internet connection on holidays :)

14. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Optus

What makes them awesome?
    I get lots of calls/text for what i'm paying and decent coverage

to upgrade my phone 1 month before it's due was like AUS$220 or wait 30 days and get a free upgrade :S

15. javaman

dark_avenger, out of interest what are the phone companies like in australia?

16. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Orange
    What makes them awesome?
    Brilliant signal, can get a perfect signal up many mountains in scotland (including 3/4 way up Ben Nevis)
    I get no signal in my local Morrisons
    probably back to o2

17. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

QFT, only i pay a tad more for my plan.

Sam

18. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

Thank you for reminding me why I hate American phone companies. I keep seeing low prices like this for other countries... I'm on Verizon in the states with a similar plan, I think 700 minutes, unlimited text. no internet. My wife and I share this and pay $122 monthly, which if I'm correct translates to £80-something.

19. knuck

knuck Hate your face

they're all rip offs IMO

20. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

What plan are you on then?