News WhatsApp founder leaves Facebook over alleged privacy row

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 1 May 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

So.... obvious next question - what's the alternative?

Only one I can think of is the Snowden-endorsed one (name escapes me right now). PITA trying to get all your mates to switch over though.

3. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Telegram maybe?

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I think Signal is the droid you're looking for.

5. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

or wikr

6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Signal was the one I had in mind, actually - good shout. Any pros/cons of those three and what are less tech-minded people (like my dear old Mum) more likely to be able to move over to?

I'm assuming of course, that both parties have to be on the same platform for the encryption/privacy to be of any use.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Signal has the advantage of being able to replace your existing SMS/MMS application: if the person you're sending to doesn't have Signal, your message goes as an unencrypted SMS/MMS; if they do, it goes as an encrypted Signal message. Nice and transparent, basically. That can also be a disadvantage, of course, though it tries to make it obvious that it's unencrypted by including an open padlock image and, until it's dismissed, an "Invite [CONTACT] to use Signal" overlay at the top.

It's also bleedin' secure, and run by Proper Privacy Types like Moxie Marlinspike.
    Aye: Signal can only send encrypted messages to other Signal users, and likewise other platforms are restricted to their own users too.

8. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Must be a lot of secret agents on here with all these privacy requirements! It irks me that I need to have whatsapp for that one friend that isn't using FB messenger.

Tags: Add Tags