1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When should an OEM replace a laptop under warrenty...

Discussion in 'General' started by my58vw, 22 Jul 2004.

1. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Hello all,

I have a toshiba M35-S359 laptop and it is only 4 months old. The laptop is at service due to a few issues... let me tell you what they were...

Screen hitting keys, destroyed screen... toshiba replacing

Keyboard breaks in center, lost multiple keys

Mainboard is dead, BIOS chip died, needs to be replaced

Battery is already at 50%, new battery

Hinges replaced...

So Screen, keyboard, Motherboard, hinges and battery... hmm replacing the whole laptop?

So how many parts does it take for a company to replace the entire unit? I asked and they said they are going to fix it... been out a laptop for 4 weeks... :waah:

What do you all think on this one?

2. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

It really depends on your local laws and how nice the company is.
    When I worked on a tech desk we used to have disputes that took forever with this exact kind of thing.

I would say its fair to have it replaced outright if the fault is within 28 days of purchase or a next working day turnaround and after that back to manufacturer of parts to source replacements (usually 28 days). Within 4 months if there have been more than 3 faults I think it acceptable to demand a replacement and the company supplying it do so. Of course you have to keep your windows CDs and product keys because they are registered to you.

Still other people will have a different view on this and local laws and such also change what you do and do not have the right to do.

Things like this are such tricky ground

3. -:: M@ ::-

-:: M@ ::- Testify!

My old laptop had a wire loose inside that shorted the sound card or something so sound wouldnt work, and just for that little thing i took it back (Currys) and they replaced it with the model they had in at the time that was the same price as I had paid for the laptop a year before (had a 3 year extra warrenty thing that cost £100 but well worth it).

- M@

4. Carbon

Carbon Banned

Since i work with toshibas ill tell you.

they wouldnt replace the machine, just replace the parts that are at fault because beleive it or not there is more than a few parts in a laptop. Some of the tosh range has over 100 parts.

Tbh, im not trying to be funny but i wouldnt replace that under warranty, the only way that the keys would damage a LCD pannel is if you either have a forign object on the keyboard then shut the lid (i.e a book) or you slam the lid down really hard.

about four weeks? really it depends on if the parts are in stock at the toshiba distributer, but i would personally aim to have the parts in ASAP and then the parts would all be fitted and tested that day.