1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU where are the Phenom owners and are they satisfied ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by knuck, 19 Nov 2008.

1. knuck

knuck Hate your face

... is what I was wondering about the other day as I was checking CPU prices for a new PC.

Most of the people here have C2D and I don't blame them. This is what i would like to buy as well but when I saw that I could get a Phenom 9500 (quad core @ 2.2Ghz) for 122$ I got really tempted by going back to AMD

I am on a small budget. As of now I actually have no money at all for a PC and I have to fix my car but I think sometime in January I should have about 500$ ready for a new PC(this includes CPU+board+ram+video card)

However, since I am a gamer I am not sure the Phenom could cut it with a 9800GTX+. Maybe a C2D would be necessary for that. The problem is the cheapest one is the E7200 at 153$ , which is 40$ more than the Phenom.

Whenever someone asks me if they should go with a quad core or an higher clocked dual core, if they play games I always tell them to with the dual, but this time the quad core side of things is really appealing me :D

What do you guys think ?

2. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

Phenom II is out in January. Haven't heard any believable rumours on pricing yet so can't comment on how it would work with your budget.

3. knuck

knuck Hate your face

the lowest Phenom II being at 2.6Ghz, I doubt it's going to be cheap

4. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

Can't you get an E5200? 2.5GHz stock, clock well and very cheap.

5. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I would rather get a core 2 duo than a pentium ....

... just because of the name

as stupid as it is, it's true :D

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

you cant be serious! dont look at the name, just spec!

7. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

It's called a Pentium but it's in the same line as the Wolfdale's and so is 45nm
    It's about as Pentium as a Phenom.

8. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

^^ Yup, it's based on Intel's Core architecture.

9. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Technically I've got 2 Phenoms. :p

They just don't have the power of the 45nm C2D or the value of the Q6600. If C2D didn't exist then I think we'd probably all find the Phenoms "fairly nice chips".

Apparently the new Denebs are going to be in the $250-300 price point.

10. deltaworld

deltaworld What's a Dremel?

forget Phenoms and C2D and just go for the Core i7. The prices would hopefully have dropped in January.

11. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Except an AM2+ board plus 4GB of DDR2 is half the price of an X58 board with 3GB of DDR3. I can't see those prices falling for a while yet.

12. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I rock the 9580BE Phenom in Prometheus and I love it - clocked it up to 3ghz and use it with 2x GTX280ssc's.

I see no problems with the AMD chips - because most of my work is done with raw GPU power.

I am eagerly awaiting the new Deneb's though.

13. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

I'm running a Phenom 9550 and its plenty quick for my needs, teamed up with 4gb ram and an ati HD3870 it handles pretty much everything I throw at it, games,video editing, transcoding, HD content etc, running quite merrily on stock cooling at a mild 2.3ghz

14. knuck

knuck Hate your face

don't worry i know that. I just have bad memories of my last pentium (4)

nice to know it can be coupled with powerful videocards and not bottleneck them too much

15. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Prices will continue to drop as Phenom II moves over to Socket AM3. Only the first two Phenom II's I believe will be AM2+ sockets. AM3 will work on AM2+ motherboards though, but only on the first generation Deneb's I believe since AM3 will eventually be a completely DDR3 platform.

16. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

17. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

To be fair if you're gonna be runnning this as a gaming rig the CPU isn't really going to count for more than 3-5 fps...

The 9500 will be more than capable of getting within about 3 or 4 fps of a Q6600 with both on stock setting on most games.

My advice, for what it's worth, get the cheaper CPU and spend more on the GPU

18. knuck

knuck Hate your face

good and clear

thx

19. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I'm pretty happy with my Phenom, it was £115, tri sli mobo was £90 and 4Gb of DDR2 set me back next to nowt, whacked it in and OC'ed it to 3.2Ghz/2.4Ghz NB(might be 2.2 NB, memory fails me now), barely much of a voltage bump needed, feels to me like it might do more but when I tried it blue screens with a Clock calibration issue, which makes me think if I had ACC it'd go further but i've no complaints.

Performance wise its plenty quick enough, it was a great purchase IMO, only reason I didn't go for the Q6600 was because the equivalent motherboard was substantially more expensive and looking at peoples scores on 3d mark etc doesn't net them much more performance than me even with higher OCs ( not that its the best indicator but hey, it make me happy leave me alone :lol: )

Last edited: 21 Nov 2008
  20. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I just got myself the Phenom 9500 (Quad Core @ 2.2Ghz) for $113. It was the last one and since it's an old model, I wouldn't have seen another one any time soon. Plus, the next cheapest Phenom X4 is $189 so there was no way I was going to let this one go.

I don't have anything to use at the moment but the day should come :D

pretty excited about this super deal !

edit: I am currently checking what kind of memory I should get. I would really like to get 4gb of ddr2 but I am not sure if I need DDR1066 or 800. If 1066 is absolutely needed then I will go with only 2gb , if 800 can do the job then 4Gb it will be. My budget is quite limited and I don't plan on overclocking this machine at all

Last edited: 23 Nov 2008