1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where is the best place to Live?

Discussion in 'General' started by Henchman:crg, 11 Jul 2005.

1. Henchman:crg

Henchman:crg What's a Dremel?

Hmmmm, been living in Bristol for 3 years now, Ohio for 18 months, lived on Reading before that for years, which I can't stand.

But when choosing somewhere to live, what do you look for?

I look for location, .i.e. good mid point between the getting to a beach and being able to reach the relatives, activities like a sports facility, and good shopping, and people seem to be a little nicer here than when I lived in Reading.
    Also playing league squash in Bristol is good fun, and easy to travel to other rackets clubs :D

Bristol has most of that, but the down side is too built up, too expensive and too much crime.

Reading would be okay if they had any decent sport facilites (No rackets/gym club to be found), and even if they had a fitness club, I find many people very unfriendly there anyway.
    It's all offices and housing and nothing for fitness.

Anyway, what's peoples experience of cities, and what is a good one in terms of housing, facilities (social, fitness, shopping), crime, traffic, etc.

2. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Bournemouth ;)

<A88>

3. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Norwich is nice, is quite a small city plenty of shops and enough housing.

4. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

:eyebrow: Erm... I believe you didn't look very hard then. Reading has quite a few gyms and sport centres dotted around from the town centre to the outskirts.

I like Reading. It's like a mini London, and close enough to proper countryside to get away. Also it's just a town, not a city... no matter what the buses might tell you.

Last edited: 11 Jul 2005
  5. Henchman:crg

Actually, I am looking for a gym with rackets, including Squash.
    The only one I know is in Bracknell (2 courts, no league, no interest), or a council run place where you cant get a court, if you know different please let me know.

6. Henchman:crg

Be nice to know what is good about Bournemouth, facilities, etc.
    Thanks.

7. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Sorry! We've got a beach obviously, very nice one...a good few sports centres, I'm pretty sure there's somewhere to play squash, don't take my word for it though. We've got Castle Point shopping centre which is pretty massive, as well as a decent town centre (although best avoided at nights). Can't think of anything else atm sorry

<A88>

8. Liquid K9

Liquid K9 Human programmer.. heh

lunar suface latitude 64.5 longitude 234.4, outer crest, beside the rock, 5 foot under the lunar soil.

Best place on the planet, err... well...

9. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Haha...Henchman, you want to move back to Ohio. C'mon, ya know you do. We can hang with the cows. :)

10. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

London ...just aslong u dont get caught up im the traffic.......haha but on a serious note...it will be expensive.

but redding is ok.....been there not too bad.i have to adree with what Hex said...it's a mini london and ive seen plenty of sport clubs around.

Bindi edit for insensitivities

Last edited by a moderator: 12 Jul 2005
  11. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Most cities in the Netherlands... I like Utrecht for big cityness... and Woerden for smallness... love them both and they're so close to each other too!

12. Dayains

Dayains Notamodder

I quite like liverpool personally :D

13. calnen

calnen moo!!

Durham's fantastic :) Thats where I chose

14. padair

padair Inebriated

Though it's full of Scousers (that all think they're comedians).

Apart from that, I agree, Liverpool is a hell of a place to live, it has everything you would want, especially a damn good football team. Pity that Berry St book exhange has shut...

15. HellRazor

HellRazor What's a Dremel?

Of course. Its Colorado in the States!!

Have everything, Mountians, flat lands, 300 days of Sun shine, hot women, and good food! What else could you want?

16. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

Well i live in South Dakota, USA most people see it as hicksville central USA but its not that bad we have everything every other city my size has, but the people here are what make the city. Which really stinks now so i wouldnt choose this state really or many other states.

If i could/had the money/ i would move to Scotland since my family heritage is there and i absolutely love it. If not there i would go anywhere else in europe in a heart beat as long as it wasnt a major city with millions of people but a nice size town that i can find work, apts, and enough stores to not have to order everything off the net. i dont even know what it takes to move to another country but if i could do it i would.

17. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

Anyware but here :)

But seriously, Nofolk is not too bad (lived there). Newcastle is a fantastic City, I havent lived in glasgow long enough to form an opinion and the Shetlands is very windy.

18. Henchman:crg

But, we all know how obese America is turning :eeek:

Does it have fitness facilities, especially with tennis, squash & badminton?

19. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Vermont isn't bad but the weather really sucks in the winter for driving (and doing anything but skiing for that matter)

dunno... I must be a lucky american. I'm proabably at least forty pounds underweight for my age and people could swear I'm anorexic (sp?) but I eat hostess cupcakes and oreos all day while doing nothing more than keeping my computer chair warm and knocking off chunks of my keyboard's lifecycle. yay for me and my warm chair.

20. GMan

GMan Minimodder

Yes. Well, fitness facilities, tennis and racquetball anyways. Colorado Springs has mountain biking, climbing, hiking, rafting, swimming, and beaches of a sort with itty bitty waves and ice cold water in the middle of summer - you don't want to swim in spring or winter unless you're a polar bear. There's also quick access to any number/variety of winter sports.
    The younger population of the Springs is probably more physically fit than most places in the U.S. We have a lot of older retired folks as well and it's not that unusual to share a trail with them.

The air is cleaner here. The sun will burn you in record time. The cost of living isn't too bad, but the pay scale is proportionate.