Electronics where to buy tips for a Hakko 936?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by nleahcim, 28 Dec 2004.

1. nleahcim

nleahcim What's a Dremel?

Hi - so I'm doing enough surface mount work nowadays (I'd say about 75% of the soldering I do these days is surface mount) that I need a tip better designed for it. Right now I have what came with my iron. I think it's called a "chisel tip" - it just comes to a flat blade - but it's fairly big for surface mount work. Anyways - I guess my question is two parts:

A. What kind of tip should I get? There's a large list here: http://www.tequipment.net/HakkoTipsProducts.asp?series=900&page=1 (though that website says $40 minimum order for Hakko stuff)

B. where can I buy tips? Any places that won't charge me just as much for the shipping as for the tip? I'm in the USA.

I have a couple big orders I'm placing shortly through Mouser and Digi-Key, but as far as I know neither of them stocks Hakko stuff. I expect only Hakko tips will work, right?

2. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann What's a Dremel?

the Fry's electronics here in CA stocks a pretty good selection of Hakko tips and irons...

3. nleahcim

nleahcim What's a Dremel?

awesome - I stopped by Fry's today on my way up to Portland and picked up a couple tips. They were super cheap too (they were under $10 total). Thanks!

4. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann What's a Dremel?

no problem. im glad i could help. :thumb: